To Sell or Not to Sell - iMac 27" Mid-2011

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Foreverbfc, Feb 5, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Hello All -

Trying to decide whether or not to sell my iMac for something more portable. I originally purchased the iMac for light photo editing and home video composition, but have found that I have rarely used it in the last 12 months. I have an office set up and typically work at my desk for business purposes on a business issued PC, but it is a rare occasion that I sit at my desk solely to use my iMac. I sit at a desk all day, whether I work at home or on location, and when I get home I really don't feel like sitting at a desk any more, I find myself preferring to sit on the coach or at a table with the rest of the family in the room.

I do still have video conversions (from 8mm to digital) to complete (quite a bit in fact) and know that the iMac is ideal, but can't get myself to sit down at my desk long enough to complete this.

Anyway, I have it listed on eBay and Craigslist and have had a few offers come in, but not as much as I'd like. I purchased this machine new about 13 months ago and have only used it a hand full of times, so it's in mint condition. I realize that I'm not gonna get what I paid for it, but I'd like to get enough to replace it with something portable that's comparable in power. I'd like to at least get around $1,400 net...

Here's the specs of my iMac:
    27" display
    2.7GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 with 6MB on-chip shared L3 cache
    12GB memory 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
    1 TB Hard Drive, DVD SuperDrive
    you can see it here:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/251222463186?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649

Here's what I'm considering:
    Either a 13" or 15" rMBP from Apple's Refurb store

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.5GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5 with Retina Display
    13"
    8GB of 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
    128GB Flash Storage

Intel HD Graphics 4000

Refurbished MacBook Air 2.0GHz dual-core Intel Core i7
    13.3"
    8GB memory
    256GB flash storage
    Intel HD Graphics 4000