To sleep or not to sleep?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by alexf, Jun 14, 2004.

1. alexf macrumors 6502a

Apr 2, 2004
    Planet Earth
    Hi everyone,

I was wondering which is better for my G5:

- to periodically put it to sleep and wake it up a few times a day (I usually work in three-hour stretches and take an hour or two break, during which I put my computer to sleep)
    - to just leave the computer on all day (with the energy saver optimized to turn off monitors after a few minutes, etc.) and then put it to bed at night.

Recently a software engineer friend of mine said that every time the computer wakes from sleep it is hard on it and it would be better for it to just leave it on all the time. Indeed, when the G5 wakes up, it does emit a little (roar), like a classic car engine reving up...

Any input would be appreciated. :D
  2. Oirectine macrumors regular

Aug 11, 2003
    Tokyo, Japan
    I remember reading, years ago, that the power/heat cycling of a computer causes more wear on the parts than anything. That is to say, nothing shortens the life of computer components as much as the transition from "on to off" or "off to on" does. Sleep mode, I would guess, has the same bad effects as turning it on/off, because it cuts the power to almost everything.

So if I were you I would just leave it on all the time. On the other hand, sleep would save you money on the electric bills, and be better for the environment.
  3. cb911 macrumors 601

Mar 12, 2002
    BrisVegas, Australia
    you can do whatever you like. sleep it if you're thinking about keeping your PowerMac for about 8-10 years and want it to really last you, or if you want to save some money on your energy bill just sleep it whenever you don't need it.

i sleep my PowerBook at least twice a day, usually more, up to 5-6 times in a day.

i don't think it really has such an impact on the life of your computer. 1 year down the track you're not going to say, 'oh man! i wish i had just left my PM on instead of sleeping it.'

just do whatever you like, whatever is convenient. :) i do.
  4. alexf thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apr 2, 2004
    Planet Earth
    Thanks for the input...

I wonder if anyone has any definate information on how hard it is on a computer to start up / wake up from sleep...

From the sounds that it makes, it does seem like it's doing a lot of work when it wakes up; on the other hand, in OS X the Mac wakes up A LOT faster than it used to in OS 9 for some reason or other.