to the graphic artists out there... question on rate..

Discussion in 'Community' started by krossfyter, Oct 31, 2004.

1. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

i recently completed a poster for an independent movie. my problem with deciding on what to charge them is whether i should go with

option 1) flat rate.... i seel the the rights to the poster... if the movie generates any money i dont get any profit since the rights are sold.

option 2) ask for a little cash for it.... then be open to me getting money from the profit from it later.

what option should i go with? how much for each? im not doing an hourly rate... more like a flat rate.

so What would the the flat rate be

specifics:
    Color, Images, Text, Photoshop work. Illustrator work...just for placement... no actual digital illustration at all...this poster has been the main exposure source on the film. it has generated good money for them. however they are now in a financial bind... tied up money wise and are paying off some loans and then they will get back to work again. dont know how long that will take. so what should i do? i should i approach them? these people are cool... i dont want to ruin my rep with them so i dont want to gouge them ... i want to work with thier situation... but i want some type of compensation also. and they would be happy to help me out.

i wonder if i should just flat out tell them to buy me a new powerbook and we'll call it even.

lol

any help would be appreciated. thanx.

2. Jaz macrumors regular

Hi,

Common quandry. Generally in situations like that, I would keep the rights and suggest a sliding scale based on success. I'd arrange it like this:

If they can't pay you now, then hang on to the rights and get some small cash as a start. Next, if they have a small success get a cut as a percentage, give them a restricted licence to use but not the rights. If they have a bigger success then get a cut as a solid fixed fee, give them a limited licence but not the rights. If they have great success they will have established some continuity of design and brand at which point the rights are the asset and not the time taken to create the work. Negotiate a royalty or good payout for the rights.

Creative work is valuable and should not be handed over without decent compensation, but align your compensation with their success and most clients are happy to work with you. That's been my experience and all my work comes from referral.

Good luck.

3. Jaz macrumors regular

I just did that for a client. There was no cashflow problem but it was hard to price the job as it was for graphics which could be used in several ways. When a brief is unclear, I settle for something I want plus rights ownership. That way I get something but am covered if it works well or grows in scope.

I dealed for an Xbox, a couple of games plus Halo 2 when it's released in return for some inital graphics work! Future work & usage will be charged separately :)