To the wise and geek people only

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by mymemory, May 27, 2002.

1. mymemory macrumors 68020

May 9, 2001
    Ok, I have my Powermac G4 400, I have an offer to upgrade it to a dual G4 500 for $600 aprox. I may get a dual 800 for a bit more, but lets work with the dual 500Mhz.

Would that be a good deal? I need to do some rendering, I know I can get another G4 400 for around $1000 (I'm in Venezuela things are a bit more expensive).

What do you think? To spend the $600 in a dual 500Mhz?
  2. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Aug 14, 2001
    Dual 800, or just wait to sell your old system and buy a new Mac.
  3. britboy macrumors 68030

Nov 4, 2001
    Kent, UK
    If i remember correctly, you're using OS 9, aren't you mymemory? If that's the case, i would reccommend getting the second G4 400. That way you can have one machine rendering, whilst the other remains freely available for you to carry on working on other stuff.
  4. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Oct 5, 2001
    San Diego, CA
    Depends on how long you'll be staying with 9, and how many of your apps are SMP aware.

OS X will LOVE a DP G4!

Which of your audio apps will take advantage of a second CPU? If none, then it probably wouldn't be a good idea to upgrade right now.

My general rule of thumb is that you should never buy anything this close to a MW Expo, unless you find a great deal and money is a big issue. Even then, what's current right now will drop in price when the new models come out.
  5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    What I want to know is where you're going to get the dual 800. I'd love to have one of those but they're not available yet. Let me know.

Also if you're running OS9 and plan on being there for a while, go with the extra machine. It won't be as fast over all, but you could have one machine to render on and another to realtime work. I do that now and it ends up saving time in the long run, especially when a render might take more than a couple days.