To those not satisfied with MWSF 2007, I offer another view!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Aniej, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

I think people are making a mistake in comparing the device to just an iPod or just a PDA. As jobs cleverly alluded to in his keynote, this device is none of these and all of these in one. It is an entirely new approach to our digital experience.

The comparison of iPhone to one specific device suffers from the same type of flaw as the complaints about the lack of Mac updates. Specifically, it is each person picking their singular issue they want addressed or function they want met and expecting that an absolutely amazing multi-facited device will serve there individual desire exclusively.

Apple is obviously working on Mac related upgrades, we even had the leopard preview several months ago And, it's not as if they are suddenly going to stop making the hardware we can't get enough of. In fact, it is somewhat ironic to look back at all the advice many of us have given in the month preceding the keynote about what is quite likely the most frequently asked question on this site: Mac(insert product line here) v. Mac(insert other product line here), when should I buy? And what have most of us said over and over again? Get it now, this is a wonderful machine, they just updated it. Apple is working to make the best products around to serve each of our needs, lets give them the time to get it done, which, in turn, they have done over and over again at a miraculous pace with superb quality.

I for one am elated at the concept that has been put forward with the iPhone. If I have one critique, it is that it is being called an iPhone due to the cohesive approach this device takes, but even that pales in comparison to the kind of daring and ingenuity exhibited today; it is of the sort that we will look back upon and say yeah, it all came from there. And you know what Apple did it. This is a great day.

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i think ppl have problem because apple didn't give news about real computers. they don't necessarily dislike iphone.

3. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Well I guess there's no point me saying I'll wait until the next revision before I even consider getting an iPhone, according to Apple Inc. we won't have them until sometime 2008 anyway and by then they will be Rev B at least. So I have to ask myself what's the point in introducing something new at MWSF '07 when it will only be available to the U.S. ???? :(

The iPhone should have had it's own event and MWSF '07 should have been about Macs and Leopard. Instead we get two hours of gibberish about a product that we can see in a year's time.

4. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

Of course Apple aren't going to stop making hardware, look at the quote Steve led with. Something along the lines of, if you want good software then make the hardware. There a software company but they achieve that through controlling their hardware.

The mobile phone industry is worth a fortune and, just as iPod helped Apple out, this will generate revenue that can rejuvenate and drive the computer side of their business.

Steve has the right idea and as a marketing tool this is one more thing to drive teh halo effect.

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I love the iPhone, love it. It's a remarkable bit of kit.

My annoyances stem from the fact that it won't be here until 2008 (can't do anything about that, local compliance takes time) but mainly from the tv.

The tv, whilst capable of streaming ripped DVDs and TV shows (so long as they are in a format listed as mine all are) it's major selling point is that it can stream video content purchased from the iTS. Now, our video content is limited to Music Videos, Pixar short flims and video podcasts - hardly compelling content.

Now, yes it can stream DVDs encoded into MPEG-4 or H.264 from your HDD but when you put it on top of your DVD player what's the point when you could just go put the actual DVD in the DVD player and watch it right there and then. Certainly much faster than laboriously encoding the DVD to a small .mp4 on your HDD.

The show was two items. One an incredible revolution in communications - that we won't see until some time next year and the other which we won't get till February and has no real point considering the content available on the iTunes Store.

This morning's keynote didn't introduce a single thing you could buy and expect delivery of within a week and the two big announcements are for all intents and purposes US-only.

6. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

Exactly; people were expecting Mac related updates and/or new products altogether. It was kind of a bummer that it didn't happen.

7. joelovesapple macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

Absolutely spot on. I was hoping that there would be at least some TV shows for us Brits. But no, just your usual Birds short film and 'new' iPod games, videocasts etc. Not ready for us yet.:(

8. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

I went to the channel 4 website where they are offering some content download but it is all pc only. I emailed them to suggest that they just use iTunes and just got a stock email back. Perhaps if we all kept saying the same thing they might take note?

9. joelovesapple macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

Yes, 4OD and apparently its piss poor, so I wouldn't bother:( .

I was annoyed too when it was 'Windows only'. Dorks. There are other OS's out there too.:rolleyes:

Maybe if they upped the quality I would join, but big companies never really take heed and listen. I bet a computer (on Windows) sent you that 2 mins after you emailed.:(

10. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

dan-o-mac

I didn't watch the keynote yet, but other than the widgets on the phone, how is the phone a new approach to our digital experience? It might be better than what's out there now, but aren't all smartphones doing email/camera/music/browser/phone thing. What am I missing? Sexy as hell but hardly anything new. Maybe I should watch the keynote before I start talking smack. :D

11. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Wasn't much of a Mac day at all was it..

No new iLife, no Leopard preview.

I fail to realize how big iPhone is. The fact that it isn't going to be released until June and the fact that it is only Cingular really bugs me because I have Sprint.

Apple Tv is very overpriced in my opinion, I have some interest in it, but it's 300 dollar price tag is too much to bear.

Only positive thing I heard from Steve today was that they will be rolling out some new Macs or UPDATES to Macs very soon.

12. nickelbackmac macrumors regular

nickelbackmac

I'm guessing that by "?tv" you mean Apple TV?

13. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Yeah, he was probably using the apple logo, but it gets changed over to a question mark.

14. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

yeah, thats a safari thing, it allow you to input a apple symbol, which is not standard, and can not be shown if you are not using safari.

15. joelovesapple macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

Sorry, I'm quite new to the Mac platform. How do you do that?:eek: Thanks!

16. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

shift+option+k

17. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

The only memorable thing about the keynote was the introduction of the iPhone. Pretty much after the first 30 minutes over obsessing over the phone I pretty much was over it. That was the real issue for many with the Keynote, he spent over an hour and a half (almost) discussing it.

18. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It's showing up as ?TV for me and I'm using Safari, so it isn't that it looks wrong outside of Safari.

19. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

haha, its a loop, i can't tell from your post if you see an apple logo or a question mark, :D

20. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yeah, shift-option-k makes the apple logo but I'm guessing it's a non standard character so it becomes a question mark.

21. joelovesapple macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

Sorry, still no luck:eek: :( :( Does it show when I'm constructing a message? I don't see anything. I'm using Safari on 10.4.8 ...

22. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

try textedit

23. joelovesapple macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

Nope:( I'm really embarrassed;)

24. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

lol, don't be, I never try it neither, :D