To those who have had iPods replaced or repaired...

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Gus, Feb 18, 2003.

1. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

How did you go about doing it? I have one of the original 5 GB iPods I bought last March, and the battery is crapping out on me. I want to make sure Apple takes a look at it before I am out of warranty. Did you take yours to a local retailer, or did you send it in, or what? Apple's site has a lot of good info, but when it comes to contacting a real person in support, it is a little shaky.

Thanks!

Regards,
    Gus

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

try calling 1800-my-apple, explain it to them. they should either have you bring it to your local mac reseller (compusa or something like that) or else have you send it in directly...

i haven't heard of anyone doing it outside of a genius bar at an apple store, but they must have something for those people who don't live near one... like me...

pnw

3. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I sent it in. This happened to me twice and they were very kind about replacing it both times. No more scratchy iPod for me!

P-Worm

4. janey macrumors 603

janey

they screwed up my iPod at the apple store while showing them a problem with the software and my TiBook. So since the firewire port was damaged, Apple replaced it with a completely new 10gb iPod. It was cool.
    Called Apple, told me to take it to the apple store, where I got a replacement and walked out in less than 15 minutes.

5. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

If you bought it last March, then you are not out of warranty!!
    Just take it back to an Apple store or where you bought it from with the receipt.
    You should not have any problems!!

6. Gus thread starter macrumors 65816

Gus

Yeah, I knew I had warranty left, I just don't live near a bona fide Apple Store, so I wasn't sure what the process was for returning things for repair, and while I have warranty left, it sure isn't MUCH left. ;)

Regards,
    Gus

7. Datazoid macrumors regular

When I went to the Apple Store, they told me that they couldn't replace it there, but I had to go to http://depot.info.apple.com/iPod and fill out the form. Apparently things get shipped back and forth, I'm currently waiting for the box to send the iPod to Apple, so it will be interesting to see how this turns out. All you need for the form is basic information on the iPod and its problem. Seems easier to me than having to go through AppleCare, etc, but I guess it depends on the person...