To those who use it naked...

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by MXSkier62, Nov 3, 2010.

1. macrumors regular

Dec 4, 2006
    And I mean the iPad, not the nudity thing... although no judgement here...

So I've been using my iPad naked for the past few weeks, and I love how much better it feels without a case on it. But I only got mine a month ago, and I'm wondering how the wear-and-tear of everyday use is handled by the back of the device? I know aluminum is a metal, and it's mostly sitting on a wood desk or table, but I just wonder how the "pick it up, put it down," or spin it while on the table, effects the case?
  2. macrumors 68020

Aug 13, 2008
    Kitchener, Ontario
    It'll probably scratch up the apple logo, but the aluminum should hold up fine.

I use mine naked, but I do try to put it down gently when putting it on a hard surface.
  3. macrumors 603

Apr 1, 2009
    15 minutes in the future
    Yes, the thickest part of my iPad bottom is scratched to hell from using it naked. Put some tape on that part.
  4. macrumors 68040

Jul 10, 2008
    I put a Zagg Leatherskin on to protect the back so I don't have to worry about setting it down or sliding it on a table. My aluminum MacBook got scratched on the bottom pretty easily.
  5. macrumors regular

Oct 18, 2009
    I got the Best Skins ever skin on the back of my iPad and I love it.
  6. macrumors 6502a

Apr 19, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    I had BestBuy install Ghost Armor on front/back/sides. Works great, although 95% of the time I leave it in a Marware Ecovue case. When I'm couch surfing, I take it out of the case and use it naked.
  7. macrumors 68020

Oct 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Get a clear TPU case off of Ebay. Cheap, clear and very thin...You won't even know it's there...
  8. thread starter macrumors regular

Dec 4, 2006
    I still love the feel of the aluminum on my hand when holding it. I have a best skins ever, but am hesitant to put it on. I had a bad experience with the feeling of those skins on my iPhone 4, and don't want to deal with that feeling again, plus it felt weird. I also tried a power support crystal, which i used for my iPhone before i got sick of the protector and went back to original glass, and found that while it works fine for the non-retina display, it made using a stylus much more difficult.

I've been putting it in an incase sleeve when i bring it into school (so every day). Does anyone suggest something thinner/lighter that they've seen or used? Doesn't need a zipper, or strap. Just something to put it in so other books/pens won't scratch the screen?