To update or not to update?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by RyanSA4, Nov 4, 2005.

1. RyanSA4 macrumors member

Sep 24, 2005
    I have had my Powermac for about a month now and it runs flawlessly. I haven't had to force quit anything and nothing has froze. I am running 10.4.2 and am reading all these problems people are having with 10.4.3. So should I even bother updating?:confused:
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    On the seven machines I've updated so far, they've all been fine. :)
  3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I think it depends on what else you've got and how important your machine is to your income.

If you depend on your machine for your income, wait.

If you have customisations/hacks that aren't ready for 10.4.3, wait.

If you're not having any of the listed troubles and don't find the enhancements all that important, wait.

I've not had a problem with either machine, in fact, they've improved a lot.
  4. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

Oct 26, 2003
    Cardiff, Wales
    As a rule: you generally hear about the bad things on a forum. People don't tend to complain when things go right.

So, for ever complaint I'm sure there are hundreds of others whose machines are working tip top. (All three of mine are working great!)
  5. zim macrumors 65816

Jan 5, 2002
    Just do it ;)

I have upgraded all my machines, 3 total, and have had zero issues. If you are concern then back up your home folder prior to updating... you should do this regardless if you have not.
  6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

Apr 27, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    There is a slight reason to be concerned.
    There are a few reports of the computer not being able to start up after the update (This happened to me and several other people).
    I would back up my info, then go for it, then you don't really have anything to lose.

PS - I have not noticed any difference in either machine I've updated.
  7. Azmodon macrumors member

Jul 3, 2005
    Hampton Roads, Virginia
    Are you talking about the operating system and upgrading to the next Big Cat or...

This thread caught my eye. I just ran Software Update and found something concerning Mac OSX. Concerned, of course I updated. Now, though. Now my PB starts slow. I remember before updating my computer would boot up in record time. Now, however, that is not the case. Now, I stare at that grey screen with the apple logo for a good two minutes or so before the rest of the process even begins. What gives? Anyway to remove that update? Or... what?

*is such a PC user*
  8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    The first re-boot will always be slow because it's moving updates from the staging area to replace the older files. Subsequent re-boots will go more quickly. Even if the startup speed isn't as fast as it used to be, the execution speed is the important thing, right?
  9. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    I updated without thinking about it because I plan on re-installing from scratch in a few weeks. I'm just running some test right now, and want to start fresh when I move and start a new project. Haven't had any problems, but yeah, slower booting now. Not horribly noticeable, but definitely slower.
  10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003
    I just finished the update and all is fine. I followed my normal procedure; back up home folder and other important things, run cron scripts, repair permissions and update. Repair permissions after update.

My Airport network is fine and I see no reason to apply its update after reading about all the problems.
  11. PharmD macrumors 6502

Aug 2, 2005
    Oregon Coast
    I've updated my iMac and my iBook and both have no problems.
  12. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

Sep 18, 2003
    London, UK
    Updated with no problems here. I'd just update.
  13. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Feb 1, 2005
    People had problems with 10.4.2. Don't get fooled by those bad reports, because you are seeing only one side of the coin. People that have no problems with the system, do not even post here, because they have not any reason to do so!

Anyway, the update, among other things, comes with updated graphics drivers, offering OpenGL 2.0 support and the system is faster that 10.4.2. I am very pleased with this update. I think you will be too.
  14. RyanSA4 thread starter macrumors member

Sep 24, 2005
    Just updated! Only problem was that after I updated I had no internet connection, but I just reconfigured it and it's all set now. I did have that fan reving problem when i first opened safari but I have been using it for around 2 hours now and it hasen't come back.
    Thanks again to everyone for their comments.