to upgrade or not to upgrade?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Steven1621, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

i will be purchasing the 15in PB shortly. as you probably know, it comes with 512 of Ram standard. I am thinking about upgrading it to somethign more.

do you think i need anything more than the standard though? i am a trypical user: email, internet, office, occasional web design, gaming, and light photoshop use.

is 512 enough for this or should i get the 1 gb?

also, should i upgrade through apple or buy seperately from crucial?

thanks.

2. cpjakes macrumors 6502

512 is good for Panther, but the more the merrier. Panther eats it up, but in a good way. I have 512 on my TiBook 550MHz and it runs well. I've thought about upgrading it but haven't really needed it. But if you're going to upgrade at all, get at least another 512.

Buy from Crucial. Low prices, great warranty, free 2-day shipping.

cpjakes

3. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    more more more more more more more more more more more more more more more more more more more more more

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM

4. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

not sure if it's worth it at $100, but you may want to "upgrade" to 512 MB, 1 DIMM. (this upgrade can only be done when you order from apple originally.)

that way, you will need just another 512 MB to get up to a 1 GB. this second 512 MB stick should be bought from elsewhere.

or you can just buy it as is, buy two 512 MB sticks (again, not from apple) and try to sell the two 256's. (or just sell one, keep the other and get your machine up to 768 MB.)

more the merrier, so if you can spare the $100, get at least the 512 MB in one DIMM. it will give you more flexibility in the future without the mess of trying to sell or waste the 256 MB sticks.