to verbose101 and other Digi Cam users

Discussion in 'Community' started by resm, Aug 8, 2002.

1. resm macrumors 6502

verbose101....what camera did you buy ? (if you bought one already) :D

maybe arn should start a new forum here "Digi Cam's and Camcorders" since there are more and more people using digital cameras.

It would be interresting to know about the experience of other users and see the result they come up with :)

I constantly see complaints from pc users about their problems they have with the even most simple task of downloading pics from the camera into the computer.

Something the Mac with iPhoto has made SO simple it is "child's play".

It would be nice to see what other macrumors members are using and see some cool pics :D

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I havn't actually bought one yet...still looking :D

3. resm thread starter macrumors 6502

I have made some edition on your initial thread....go and check.

there is a fantastic pic made with the Fuji 601 :D

4. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Well, eye has been hearing my raves about the Minolta DiMage 7i.

I just recently bought one after getting abour 100 horrid images (tons of nasty compression all around. yuck) from a Fuji 602sz or whatever.

The Minolta is AMAZING, but VERY complex and not for the amateur photo guy who just wants to point and shoot. But it is so much what a prosumer should be and really cuts away from some of the gimmicks so common on digi cams.

It's insane. I love it. It looks retro. It's 5mp. It's got interchangeable lenses. It costs under a grand. It matches my ti and it takes brilliant photos.

That's it. I'm stoked. I'll try and post some images from it. It's amazing.

:)

m

5. resm thread starter macrumors 6502

I have the Fuji S602 now for a few month and I have no complains.

It's not only the camera that makes good pics....it's first of all the man behind the camera :D

see my galleries on this link :

http://www.pbase.com/silverfox

that includes pics from my Fuji 4900 too.

6. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Right, but its the machine that takes the 3mp file and interpolates it to 6mp adding all sorts of nasty compression along the way.

Maybe it's the man behind the camera who has a better eye who can spot the difference.....

7. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

you guys ever herd of http://betterlight.com ?
    they make digital backs for the 4x5 view camera
    arround 100mega pixels
    half a gig files
    $24,000 USD
    fun stuff

8. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Yea.. There's a german company called eyelike (eyelike.com i believe) and thy make a 60,000 dllar digital back.... 16mp or something. Insane

m

9. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

that is insane! :eek:

16 MP?! damn...how big of a file does that create?

10. Huked on Fonick macrumors 6502

11. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Yea. And they named it after you. :) you should see their site... :)

more importantly, its main function is copying. So my buddy tim got a true to life 2' x 4' digital file of a painting. At 500dpi.

It's huge. good thing i have he tricked out dual gig or else i'd be in beach ball heaven

12. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

12000x15990 how many mega pixles it that?
    http://www.betterlight.com/pages/prod_super8k.html

13. iGav macrumors G3

I'm with you on that........ I love the quality of the Polaroid....... ;) :)

With regards to digi cam's, I don't have a dedicated still cam, but my JVC mini DV has an built in still camera, and that's very good...... also it has interchangable lens, and full manual override........ I love it...... :)

14. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

sorry, can't let this one go without comment.

12000 pixels by 15990 pixels is exactly like you had it above - 12000x15990 or 191,880,000 pixels. so that would make it 191.88 mega pixels - maybe you'll learn multiplication next year at school.......

aside from that, files that big are almost too big to be usuable for every day use - you'd have to wait a bit between shots for the image to be transferred to memmory. That and the fact that it costs more than most cars.

D

15. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

The car thing I can't ignore. :) but As far as transferring to memory-- I don't think they use microdrives or anything, but rather a connection to the computer.... where it downloads to the machine using a proprietary PCI card and it's pretty quick. I was at a photo shoot not too long ago and remember that being the process. Of course, mr. Photo guy had a 8 or something mp cam... so not too huge.

But I know they're not "field" cameras per se at this point, more used to copying artwork.....and preservation things, these big 100mp ones.

Otherwise, how are ya duke? Haven't chatted with you in a while??

m

16. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

I've got a good ol' Cannon S100. It has since been outclassed by the S200, G series, etc. Still, it's one of the most compact and solidly built (solid aluminum) cameras out there. Granted, it's only 2.1megapixels, but the colors on that thing are more accurate than most other cameras and the manual controls are fairly satisfactory. It also has a composite video out port (thru a proprietary cable) that lets u view your pics on any tv.

I used it to give a presentation once :). I just saved all my slides as JPEGS and uploaded them onto my camera, hooked it up to a projector and voila! Good stuff :)

17. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I'm loving my Sony F707...the only thing is that I take so many pictures that I don't have the time to go through and post/share them.:eek:

18. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Do you know anything about the DiMAGE 5 or 7 (not 7i)? I almost bought a 5 but shied away from it after hearing lots of reports of focusing problems. I don't know whether the camera has a genuine focusing issue, or whether these people are just beginners who bought the thing because it looked badass and never learned how to properly compose their shots.

Even the number of "THIS PIECE OF CRAP ONLY GETS 20 MINUTES OF BATTERY LIFE!!!" posts on digital camera forums is shocking. It's like, "Ever hear of NiMH batteries?"

Alex

19. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

I currently have the 7 while waiting for my 7i to arrive from ritz. AF is a little slow, but nothing big unless your shooting sports... otherwise, it's killer. And you can buy a firmware upgrade from minolta for 50 bucks that corrects the AF situation.

I usually use AF to get close, and fine tune with the manual focus. but then again, i mostly shoot static objects. The firmware, I hear, speeds up AF by 50% (significant, for sure)

Battery wise, if you use Rayovac MiMH 1600+ rechargeables, you get about 50-60 images per charge. More if you turn the screen off. They've also fixed that in the 7i. I'd say the 7 is a helluva cam. That said, i'd condition the batteries properly before doing anything (charge, drain fully, charge a few times)

Don't know much about the 5, but i know that the 5megapixel images from the 7/7i are crisp, sharp, have good color and the inetrchangeable lenses are great.

It's easily the best prosumer camera though, pound for pound, that i;ve seen.

20. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

i know how to multiply, i just didnt want to wait for the calculator to boot up ;)
    im on summer vacation so i dont need to do math.
    the files are huge but it has an internal HD for location shots and is usually attached to a computer.
    as for the price,
    well if i could donate that kind of money to arn we could all be surfing off a killer Xserve;)

21. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

...or 6...:eek:

22. resm thread starter macrumors 6502

my Fuji S602 zoom

went out today and got myself a new desktop pic :D

not to bad for such a "lousy" camera :p

Attached Files:

23. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

That's a fantastic pic and all, and I'm sure your camera is great, but really, what 3+mp digicam couldn't take that. :) It's hard to take a bad picture of a gorgeous scene. I think the limiting factor tends to be the availability of nearby beautiful flowers, not the camera.

24. resm thread starter macrumors 6502

well....then why don't you go on pbase and have a look at how many screwed up pictures you can see there, made with all kind of cameras even some that are supposed to be "better" than the Fuji S602 or similar level cameras.

No...sorry...samples show that your point is not completly correct.

It's actually very easy to take a bad picture of a gorgous scene with ANY digital camera but difficult to make "The perfect shot" with any of them.

There is NO absolute perfect digital camera in the market today.
    Every brand has its good and bad side and if you go to "dpreview" and look into the different forums you will see that there is not a single camera where there are not some complaints.

And that includes the Fuji S602.
    What I still struggle with is the difficulty to take pics in low light without flash.

Something the Fuji 4900 was fantastic capable to do.

To say today that this and that digital camera today is "the best camera" shows only that the one who say's that, has not tried any other camera than his own or what is very well possible that he got a "bad" camera of a specific brand and got p...ed off.

There are endless tales of most digital cameras brands where users had to return their camera because they got an "bad apple". (no pun intendet :)

Development goes so fast today that most brands are taking it to lightly with their quality controll and that leads to the mess we have today where there are so many opposite oppinions about any digital camera.

So...to say on a neutral forum that this and that camera IS THE BEST, does not serve new users anything, who are trying to find out the pros and cons of the future camera they intend to buy.

The best is still to come up with the result (pictures) and lets put technical datas a little bit in the background :)

25. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Dude, what? Do you work for FUJI? Are you their head salesman?? What? To me, it was a lousy camera. I'd much rather work with the Minolta. I personally think that this whole interpolated image file that you get from the FUJI is a stinking load of crap, a marketing ploy for mega-pixel jockeys to fall into.

It's pretty sad. I thought "Well, I'll try it. 17mb files would be nice."

At 3mp, the camera works fine. But then again, so did my Nikon Coolpix at 3mp. At 6mp, it sucked. Plain and simple, it doesn't carry enough resolution. Sure, you're pic looks nice there, at what, 1280x1024, but what if I tried to use that pic as a two-page spread ad layout. Doubt I could. Even at the 6mp setting.

I needed to have a camera that could give me enough REAL resolution, not some crappy marketing ploy. At that point, FUJI was out. The 6mp images stink. Plain and simple. They take a 3mp file, interpolate it to 6mp (which means the camera makes up one pixel for every real pixel there is) and then compresses the whole thing down.

At wide angles, the FUJI displayed so much fringing, such that the picture was unsuable. Any other images had digital compression around them that made them unusable. The only time it took good pics was set at 3mp. But like I said, my nikon took pics at 3mp. And i didn't want a fancy crossgrade. I wanted a true upgrade.

The FUJI is a fine low-end prosumer camera, but a tad expensive for a 3mp camera. Considering there are some gorgeous Olympus cameras at 4mp with nice manual controls. Had FUJI made this camera a true 5mp or even 4mp camera, i probably would have bought it.

However, they rely are marketing ploys to basically sell a 3mp camera for 800 bucks. Come on now FUJI! Shame on you!

This is precisely why I don't think Apple should move to an AMD style numbering system anytime soon.

It's these type of marketing ploys and gimmicks that turn consumers off.

So, I took the compression heavy, fake file making FUJI back to the store and bought a Minolta. For 100 bucks more I get a better lens, a bigger zoom, a REAL 5mp file, and a MUCH nicer flash that's easier to get to than the smallish hidden button on the FUJI.

If you don't believe me on the resolution issue, dpreview has a bunch o exemples. The FUJI can't compete with any camera as far as resolution goes because of the whole interpolation issue.

It's sad, because for the amateur photographer, the FUJI is nice. But for us semi-pro/professionals who require certain parameters for our photos so they can be used in the real-world arena of advertising (not desktop pics, sorry!) we need real cameras with real features. Not interpolation gimmicks, no digital zoom gimmicks, just real resoltuion, nice smooth jpg compression, and good solid features.

Sorry, but through two days of shooting with the FUJI, versus two days shooting with the Minolta, the FUJI just can't stand up to it.

For the prosumer shooting nice macros of flowers that can be found anywhere, go nuts. It's a great camera for you I'm sure. I'll take my Dimage anyday.