Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GenesisX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2005
I was just recently thinking about buying an iPod (as you may have seen in my other thread), but I am willing to spend no more than $300, so what do you guys think is the best thing to do right now? I know the 5G's are just around the corner, but will there be anything around the $300 area? And I assume the 4G iPods will go down in price...

Thanks

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I think it is gonna be September (late) before you see any new iPods. No reason to drop new models into the market during the slowest time of the year.

My .02

I think MW Paris will see a rollout of new models across the line.

GenesisX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2005
So at the earliest, the release will be in July, right?

Also, will there be any $300 5G models, or will they all be more than that?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
wait+save up=get top of the line 5G
wait+dont save=get plain 5G or top of line 4G/Photo
get now=cry when new ones are released, even if they come out in a year. you will cry.
forget music and become a monk=priceless.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
I'm also going to buy a new ipod, but I'm going to wait for the next gen. no matter how long it takes. I think that the regular ipod may be phased out and the ipod photos will just become with regular ipod with a lower price. Well, at least thats what I'm really really hoping for.

GenesisX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2005
I guess waiting will be the wisest choice. *sigh* I don't like waiting :p. So, what kind of 5G iPod will go for around $300? Will that get me the "standard" 5G model? (And what're the specs looking like they'll be for this "standard" model, if anyone knows?)

StarbucksSam

macrumors 65816
Nov 21, 2004
Washington, D.C.
GenesisX said:
I guess waiting will be the wisest choice. *sigh* I don't like waiting :p. So, what kind of 5G iPod will go for around $300? Will that get me the "standard" 5G model? (And what're the specs looking like they'll be for this "standard" model, if anyone knows?)

We don't really know yet but I can tell you that they have only DROPPED the prices on the lower end of the new generations, not raised them. I remember when I received my original 5GB 1G iPod in 2002, it was valued at $399. Now a 20GB iPod 4G is $299.

Hope that helps.

P.S. I wouldn't expect a price drop because the iPod brand has really moved up into pop culture but they do have the lower priced minis. I would be surprised if the price on the new iPod 5G wasn't 299.

supergod

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2004
Toronto
I recently competed in a fundraising event in which the prize I am recieving is an iPod. I have been waiting for the 5G 'pods since the day the 4th gen ones arrived (still prefer the classy look of the 3Gs). I am really interested in higher battery life and a change of materials. But since the iPod is free I can't really say no. I will probably be recieving it in August. If (when) the next gen iPods are released, what will be the best way to ditch my old iPod and upgrade?

BenAKL

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2005
Singapore
Same here. I've got a 3G 20Gb iPod. I still prefer the 3G (love those red lights) over the 4G but am tempted to buy the Photo iPod. Still my gut feeling is telling me that Apple is going to release 5G real soon. :cool:

Guess in the meantime, gotta play the waiting game.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.