To Wait or not to Wait

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Edwin the Elder, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Edwin the Elder macrumors member

I currently own an original iMac G5, which I have upgraded to Tiger and iLife 06. I am a dot mac member as well.

I intend to buy a black Macbook and was planning to wait for the release of Leopard and iLife 07, as I don't need a laptop immediately.

However, one of the intended purposes of buying the macbook is to sync with my iMac to provide a continual backup of my photos and iTunes. (Also, the iMac will have to go into the shop soon to replace a failing power supply.)

If I wait for Leopard on the Macbook, will I have to upgrade my iMac to Leopard as well? Is there any advantage to having the same OS version on both machines?

Is there any other reason (apart from impatience) to buy the Macbook now?

Thanks.

2. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Only you can answer that. Do you need it? Do you just want it?

3. kevinliu4 macrumors regular

Buy it...God knows when Leopard is coming out.

I bought my MBP in August when supposedly the C2D model was supposed to be released. I would have waited 6 more months if I didn't just pull the trigger.

Besides, Leopard will be an easy upgrade. The MacBook hardware is new and fresh. Good Luck!

4. Edwin the Elder thread starter macrumors member

sorry, perhaps I was not clear enough in my question

let me pose it from the reverse angle

If I decided to wait for Leopard and wanted to sync my iMac with my new Macbook, would I have to upgrade my iMac to Leopard as well?

If this is the case, then I would buy the Macbook now with Tiger so that both machines are running the same OS version.

I'm really not interested in upgrading my iMac OS any further.

5. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

You should just buy it right now then.

Since new apps will eventually require new OS versions, it is hard to see why you are actually doing this though.

6. maxp1 macrumors regular

The answer to the question you're asking is... In all probability, no you won't have to upgrade both. Generally Apple software is compatible with itself back a version or so.

7. Edwin the Elder thread starter macrumors member

Thanks

My power supply on my iMac cut out one more time, so my decision has been made for me.

(I don't want to be without a Mac while it's being fixed.)

I'll pick up the Macbook today or tomorrow.

8. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

9. dannewell15 macrumors regular

why bother? I just ordered my Macbook. The current Macbooks had little problems when they came out so you'll end up waiting for ages. If you wait for something, you'll end up always waiting. There will always be something better just around the corner

10. Edwin the Elder thread starter macrumors member

That wasn't the point of the post

the point of the post (perhaps badly explained) was to ask of there was an ADVANTAGE to buying it with Tiger - not Leopard - so as to have the same OS as my iMac.

Anyway, I'll pick up the Macbook - perhaps tonight, if I get out in time.

11. Edwin the Elder thread starter macrumors member

I Picked up the Black Macbook

unpacking it now!

12. jonharris200 macrumors 6502

jonharris200

I got a black MacBook in feb, also partially as a backup for my iMac, and have absolutely no regrets. I have given it so much use already.

I thought Leopard wouldn't be out for a while, and sure enough June looks to be the target now.

Remember too that it will be another month or two after that before the first revision of Leopard (ironing out the bugs) is released.

The advantages to having Tiger on both for now, including the syncing using ChronoSync or some other solution, outweigh the unknowns and disadvantages for me. You too, by the sounds of it.

Enjoy your new blackbook. :)

13. Edwin the Elder thread starter macrumors member

thanks

i'm truly amazed

I was worried about the screen - not sure about the size, not sure about the glare from the bright screen, not sure about the Intel integrated video

but I couldn't be happier

the screen is much brighter than my iMac; the keyboard is great, except I keep hitting cap locks by accident; it's very fast

the setup assistant transferred all my files over in about 90 minutes

I'm ready to go!