Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
Who switches to Solaris/SPARC? Who to AmigaOne?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Lets see what young master Jobs has to say just over 7 hours, before making any final decisions... ;)

But, if news are really bad, and (mine and others) doomsday predictions comes true, and a platform switch opens the Mac platform to malware, I might be in the marked for an IBM, Sony or Toshiba branded Cell based laptop running FreeBSD when my current year and a half old iBook G4 dies. Hopefully it will last me another year and half, so maybe I'll get me a very special present for christmas 2006... at which point we know for sure, if the switch was for better or worse...

Now, an Apple branded PowerBook with an Intel manufactured Cell or Power5 derivative licensed from IBM is what I dream of... ;) But, of course, if Intel manages to make a chip that is faster and consumes less power then the above mentioned possibilities, with equal or better security, I could go for that, too... though I don't think an "Intel Inside"-sticker will survive for long before I rip it off... :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.