To Xbox/360 owners

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've been thinking (oh noes!)... What do folk who only play Xbox used to play? Were you old PC gamers? Did you like Sony but found the up-ports to the original Xbox provided you with a better gaming experience?

2. charlestrippy macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

pc gamer - not a sony fan ;)

3. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

my 360 was my first xbox of any variety. I still have my PS2 and play it some and will be purchasing a PS3 when I can find one on a store shelf. I am not paying the ridiculous prices on ebay...;)

4. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

i bought both because I need to have all the systems. I got xbox for Halo 2 (pretty good) and fable (sucked), and that was all I ever played for it before selling it and getting a 360. I got a 360 because I had just gotten a 44" DLP and i thought CoD2 would sure look purdy in 720p. My PC and PS2 still log many more hours than my 360 ever will... *sigh* kinda sad.

5. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

I had a PS1, then didn't think the PS2 was a big enough step up at the time, for the amount of money it cost at launch. Heard about the Xbox, saw some screens, and never looked back. ;)

6. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

I can proudly say I have never owned anything of the "playstation" brand. I had the 2600, then classic nes, then I got bored with console gaming when I got my 386 w/2MB Ram. I played my nieghbors snes about as much as he played wolfenstein, doom, and tie fighter on my pc. Then in 1999 I got back into console gaming with the dreamcast. That is also when EA became dead to me.I had no intention after being burned by the dreamcast (or its short lifespan) by a console again - It would be back to PC gaming and that was also when I got my first mac. I went to visit my old college roomate for a weekend and he was raving about some game for this thing called an xbox he had just gotten for christmas a few weeks earlier. We played co-op for the weekend and did nothing else. It had me at "Halo". I get back and a few weeks past for me to save up the money for xbox and halo. All my friends were die hard sony and nintendo people saw nothing good on xbox. They come over to see what I had "wasted" my money on. After having a halofest, the next day they went to ebgames to sell off their playstaions and gamecubes and all bought xboxes. Another reason I never bought into the playstion was the fact the controller was never comfortable.

7. epicwelshman macrumors 6502a

epicwelshman

The Sega Dreamcast was my first console, but the Sega stopped producing them and now it just gathers dust. I was then a PC gamer, but the Xbox intrigued me, as it seemed a very "PC-like" console. I loved it, so I bought the 360.

8. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

wow, you missed out on so many good games...

9. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Well, I got the original Xbox on its release day (had it on pre-order). I was a PC gamer but simply didn't have the money to keep up with it all, so I got frustrated and plonked down the deposit for an Xbox as soon as I could. It wasn't my first console. I had previously owned a Master System and a Game Gear but for some reason never really showed interest in getting the Mega Drive/Snes/PS/etc.

However, quite soon after I got my Xbox I discovered drinking (I was about 16), so I ended up selling it to pay for beer money. I then bought a Dreamcast dirt cheap a bit later - which I absolutely loved and is probably my favourite console to date. That was also later sold in desperate attempts to get some money.

Fast forward a few years, I actually bought an Xbox for the second time this time last year (dirt cheap again) and have been thoroughly enjoying playing though its back catalog at cheap second hand prices.

And now I'm looking to get a 360 :)

As you can see, my gaming story is pretty much defined by my lack of, and subsequent need for, cash :(

10. thegreatunknown macrumors regular

I'm a nintendo fan at heart. NES to SNES while growing up. However I couldn't grasp N64 and was too busy with grad. school to even notice the gamecube. I absolutely hated the xbox and ps2 for bond and halo alone. Shooting games bored me to no end... honestly, running around in a room or a building shooting at eachother?... or maybe it was the fact it makes me dizzy? (personal feeling which obviously is not agreed upon by the majority.)

anyway, PGR3 and Kameo had me for the 360. I was back in. And now the wii. Finally the technology for the powerglove actually exists!!

11. stagecustom macrumors regular

i had a nintendo 64 in grade 6, bought it used for 100 ish. I then got a GC in grade 8 for 129 with smash bros. I had that till last year (grade eleven) when i bought a 360 instead of an ipod video because the prices were roughly the same. i then got an ipod video in january off ebay for like 230. it all worked out perfectly. I bought a 360 because i thought it was pretty good from trying it at a friends. I am still like one of 6 kids in my grade of over 100 that has one. I am really enjoying the backwords compatible games. I have been playing GTA SA for the past 2ish weeks and it only cost me 6$. I love the HD VGA capability.

Never liked Sony. Nintendo is always good. but then again. I'm not a gamer. I play for fun sometimes, i only really enjoy sports games that i can play the games in real time (as in when there happening on tv)

Over all the 360 is awesome. i have maybe clocked 150 hours on it since last november.:)

12. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Yeah nothing to be proud about... fanboys are the worst and most immature kind of gamers.

13. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

Sorry you think so but the games I saw at the time for ps1 and ps2 nothing ever said "BUY ME NOW!!!!!!!!!" Hell I was against xbox at the time because I had given up on consoles in general. Now sony still has yet to show me a game (exclusive) I must buy their new system for. I loved mario kart64 contrary to what people said about the game. At the time I saw the ps1 as a rpg machines and I am not a big rpg person. I loved kotor and that was the first on I played since a final fantasy on the snes. Since kotor I realized that it was not rpgs(in general) that drew me away from the ps1 but the cookie cutter rpgs from square. Ps2 - what am I supposed to buy gta3 I thought it sucked it was 3d hash up of the gta2 from the pc. It was during the time from consoles where I discovered strategy games like age of empiires 1 and 2, command and conquer, warcraft, starcraft. So I don't think i missed out on any good games - it allowed me raise my standards in gaming and be more judgemental rather than blindly following a game or console no matter bad it may actually be

14. Malus macrumors 6502

15. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

Was never a big gamer, had a PS2 though. This Xmas i'm getting an Xbox 360 ; i've played my friends and Call Of Duty is just too much fun! + Xbox Live.:)

I like Sony and all, just don't want to spend the $$$ for a PS3 when I can get a 360 for much less.

Kevin

16. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Well, I got my Xbox Christmas 04 for really a few reasons. At first, I really had no interest in the what I saw a bulky, oversized, lacking console (I've become much more open minded in the years :D ) Then my good friend, tired of his PS2 for whatever reason, had a sudden interest it. Christmas '03 he got an Xbox, and it wasn't love, but a deep interest in the once what I thought was a gaming console I'd never want, though maybe not deep enough to own one. This changed when he got Halo and I got to play it. I got it for my Mac (at the time an iBook), and it instantly became what I see as a classic. When I heard about Halo 2, that was it. I needed an Xbox. I got mine as a Christmas gift in '04. I've loved the thing ever since, and hopefully this year I'll have myself a 360. Sure, I'll always love some of the titles the PC has/will get, mostly strategy games, but I feel like the Xbox has always racked up the best game library, which to me, is what matters most. Touching story, no? :p

17. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Your last statement is quite ridiculous and kind of contradictory as well, you are blindly bashing games and consoles no matter how they may be because you have never played them, how can you be more judgemental if you haven't even played the PS2 games to have a good point of view to judge it, you missed out on plenty of good games and you are the blind fanboy who says otherwise.

I didn't own a GameCube last gen but I won't say that I am proud of it cause I missed on a bunch of good games, I don't know if I missed out on Dreamcast or not because I never played any Dreamcast games so I can't say, maybe I did cause people say there were some excellent games for it, restricting what you play and dismissing games without ever playing them does not make you more judgemental... in fact it makes you look a lot like a fanboy.

18. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

I like to own most systems because i like games.

I have a PS2, Gamecube, PSP, a DS and DS Lite and a Wii60. I have owned most of the classic systems. mostly nintendo when it came down to it, and then playstation and playstation 2.

Never bought an xBox because i didn't see many games i was into beyond halo and mechassault and then finally ninja gaiden.

BUT, Sony really let me down as a gamer this time around. Caring more about pushing their formats and overbuilding the machine for bragging rights.

As much as I hate to EVER give kudos to microsoft, they got it built, got it out, and did it well and for not TOO much money. Now I'm glad i did. so far I've seen nothing stellar that just smokes the 360.

When GT, FF, and MGS, along with some form of wipeout come along and they drop the price to a non stroke inducing level, I'll definitely pick one up if for nothing more than putting old PS1 games on my PSP.

I'm definitely not hurting for entertainment at the moment with my Wii60 and my handhelds.

Sony just really blew it this time around in my opinon. I still think they will do greatm but this launch and all all the false hype has soured the taste of the PS3 for me for a while.

19. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

aren't you the little rebel. You stopped gaming after NES cept for some stints with SNES and Dreamcast? You missed PS1, PS2, Genesis, Saturn, and GC? wow, you didn't miss ANY good games at all! All those millions of gamers just bought it because they are robots to the corporate machine. Damn you are my hero spanky :rolleyes: go play Halo 2 for the billionith time...

20. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Wii60??

21. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

I WAS a videogame fan, in general. Not a fanatic, mind ou, but a fan. Colecovision started it all, back in the day... then I went NES, Sega, Sega Saturn, N64, Dreamcast (sniffles...:(), PS2, Xbox, Xbox360.

Anywho.... I did sell my Saturn to get a PS1.... that didn't last long at all. I bought a PS2 because of all the hype and because I walked into a CompUsa about a week after launch and they actually had 2 in stock, so I bought them both (1 for a friend, 1 for me). My PS2 didn't last long either- I sold it to get an Xbox. I can say, though, that I had some quality times w/ my Xbox I had a TON of games for that thing (and still do).

These days though, while I am "in the loop," so to speak, I just don't find myself interested in videogames all that much anymore. I pretty much play just sports games now, and online is a must so I can play against my brother or friends that don't live nearby anymore. Nothing crazy, really, just the occasional game of football or the like, online, after a busy day.

Xbox 360 and a Nintendo Wii. :)

22. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

I bought the GC on 4 separate occasions. bought it for zelda, metroid, mario kart, and the last time I bought it just for resident evil because ebgames had a special gamecube+resident evil+controller for $75 and I got it. Res evil was possibly one of the best games I have played in the last few years but no replay value. And yes WE ARE ALL ROBOTS TO THE CORPORATE MACHINE - whether it be microsoft, sony, nintendo, walmart, or even apple. We are robots with money and that is all any coporation sees. Sorry for wanting to have a dissenting opinion next time I'll send all correspondance to you for your approval.

23. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Sayer

The gaming on an Xbox was simply superior compared to the PS2. Online gaming as a standard out-of-the-box feature hardware-wise (and then in supported games).

The hard drive made saving ALL game data (profiles, scores, new maps, game updates) drop-dead simple. No more memory card swapping and game data deleting required.

The XBOX (original) also had better graphics/gameplay capabilities than the PS2. Compare the PS2 GTA: San Andreas to the XBOX version - developers themselves routinely talked about how they had to simply 3D models to "fit" into the PS2's hardware.

Right now I'd say Xbox 360 is a perfectly acceptable next-gen console. The PS3 remains to be seen, but at least it has Blu-Ray drive already (and a premium price to match) while the Xbox has an outboard HD-DVD module that really does not match the look of the console at all color-wise.

And the Wii, is exactly what Nintendo does: focus on making *innovative* games fun and with a low barrier to entry than hardcore FPS gamers buying Xbox 360/PS3s.

FYI: I Have owned/played almost every console since the Atari 2600 (except the Neo-Geo and 8-bit SEGA and Sega Saturn). One of my all-time favorite games is Super Magnetic Neo for the Dreamcast.

24. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Thanks for completely missing the point and posting a reply that has made you look more like an idiot than when you first posted.

25. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

chu chu rocket was a personal fav for me