To your employer, you may be worth more dead than alive.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Do you have a life insurance policy? No? Are you sure?

And people ask, with a straight face, why average folks want to tar and feather CEOs and rich folks? :eek:

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Wal-mart doing this is a little slimy, but a company that does this with employees in high risk jobs would be absolutely evil.

Considering someplace like Circle K or a fast food joint would be profiting from employees who get killed during a robbery while doing their job. Especially if the family doesn't get hardly anything.

3. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

That's just wrong. I mean, if the company did something noble with anything above what they'd paid out over the years (like giving it to the family!) it could be used as a means of caring for your workers, but instead it's been perverted so that the company profits from a worker's death.

It's a very small step to imagine that there is some incentive to not be overly careful that no one dies. If the policy pays out more than your insurance premium rises (and for the big guys I'm sure there are ways to keep the insurance costs from rising too much) then it's been worth it....

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    In the UK, at least, any death or serious accident in the workplace that would lead to one of these policies being paid out would be investigated by the Health and Safety Executive. If they found that the company wasn't using appropriate safeguards, then their report (accessible to the victim's relatives) would be available for the victim's relatives to sue the company for manslaughter. Add the negative publicity for any major company and that small step would be a large one for the company.

My company have a life assurance policy on me as part of my 'perks'; it does however pay out to my family.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Why do you think there is so much effort being spent by the corporate right-wingers here to cap lawsuit damages?

I heard Jim Hightower claiming that Home Depot has come to the conclusion that it is cheaper to pay lawsuit damages to the people who are killed accidentally in their stores (customers and workers alike) than to do something about the problems that cause these deaths. If lawsuit damages are capped, companies like this will be even more likely to regard lawsuit damages as cheaper than problem fixes.

Now that's the way it should be used. It sounds like you are working for a ggod company.