To zillow or be zillowed

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Deepdale, May 13, 2006.

1. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

I saw a preview for an upcoming episode of Nightline that I then neglected to tape. According to host Cynthia McFadden, it dealt with the ability to go to a website called zillow.com and be able to check what people paid for a home at any given address that is entered. I tried it but Internet Explorer is not a supported browser. I am curious to know if this has this been looked at by members and, if so, any comments to share?

2. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I've used it, it's pretty cool. It uses a google earth type map with prices over most houses. My friend's house in rural kentucky, however, didn't show up with a price and another one of my friend's houses showed up with an unrealistically low price that I can't imagine is right. Needless to say though, it's pretty cool.

for all you people who are too lazy to type it yourself, http://www.zillow.com

PS why the hell are you using IE?

EDIT: it doesn't support safari either, but I know it works with firefox.

3. Shamus macrumors 6502a

Shamus

It seems strange that anyone would make anything which didn't support Internet Explorer or Safari. That cuts alot of people out.

Interesting site though, thanks for posting. :)

4. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Ooo, that's spooky. How do they know so much about my home? *twilight zone music*

but, that's a pretty cool site for when I eventually have to look for a home.

Hmmm.. just about $200k. I think when they bought the house in the early 1980s, my parents paid not that much. silly housing market, bubbles are for blowing into your drink through a straw! :p

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Oddly enough I use this everyday for work purposes. I know it is accurate because it uses public data to find the most accurate comps around the developments and then prices accordingly. Not to mention, the day after I heard about it my parents got their house appraised. I said it would come in at one number, I was $100 off.

How do they know this much about your house? MLS data my friend.
    Nothing is sacred anymore.

6. Deepdale thread starter macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Between zillow, credit card companies, tax return data and electronic intercepts by the government, the days of privacy have been reduced to a fond remembrance.

I am still living in the world of OS 9.1 and that is the only browser currently available to me.

7. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

It's not always accurate though. A house I know that has 3 stories is listed as having 2 stories. So don't take what it says as fact. Since it's based on records recorded by people it has some mistakes in it.

8. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Ok, I withdraw my flaming then :)

9. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

It may not be 100% accurate, but its scary how close some houses are to being accurate. I wonder if Google will buy Zillow.

10. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

froogle + zillow + google maps = AMAZING

That would be nuts... but I can see google doing that. It'd be so... "google".

11. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    i've found zillow's pricing estimates to be inaccurate here in california...even when taking into account their large window of guestimentation. ( my new word). i've also found some inaccuracies in their s/f descriptions.

Zillow is a ok for a large ballpark guess but i certainly wouldn't use it as my sole tool for constructing any pricing strategies for real estate.