Toast 6 problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dave@UW, Sep 5, 2004.

1. Dave@UW macrumors newbie

Jun 3, 2004
    I'm trying to burn a DVD using Toast 6 Titanium, and it's not working. I click on burn, and it starts to encode the files, but then partway through it just stops encoding, no errors come up, it just stops. It's really weird/annoying.

Does anyone know anything about this?
  2. aussiemac86 macrumors 6502

Apr 12, 2004
    the land of OZ
    Firstly, what are your specs?
    also check that the amount of data/video you are burning is less than 4.7GB

also, just a guess but maybe you need a spare 4.7GB or more of spare space on your HD in order to store the encoded files until they are burnt to the DVD.

good luck
  3. masterjedi73 macrumors 6502

Jan 12, 2004
    Also make sure you're using the right kind of DVD.
  4. DJY macrumors 6502a

Dec 20, 2003
    Canberra AUST
    maybe the ol DVD+R versus DVD-R issue?
  5. Dave@UW thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 3, 2004
    I have the right type of DVD, what I'm trying to burn is less than the space on the disc, and I have more than enough HD space for it to encode any files.

I'm using a powerbook G4, 15", with about 17 GB of free HD space. Could it be a software problem? Are there updates or anything does anyone know?
  6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    In the lowest right-hand corner of the app window is a little button/switch/toggle thingy... (when you've got Data CD/DVD selected in the top window)

Check it to see whether that's set to DVD, not CD-R.
    (I think it sets the cache/image size before it burns...)

It's a change to how Toast 5/4 works.

(Found this out a couple of weeks ago after much cursing & gnashing of teeth)
  7. munkle macrumors 68030

Aug 7, 2004
    On a jet plane
    Toast is on V 6.0.7 now, get the updates from Roxio or here. I've burnt a fair few DVD's from my powerbook using Toast and they've always worked fine. So try downloading the latest updates and check settings etc and hopefully your problem should be solved, saving you from making lots of expensive coasters! :rolleyes:
  8. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

Sep 23, 2003
    London, England
    Check the video your are encoding, i was making a DVD in DVD studio and it errored out (can't rember if it just stopped or locked up or if any messages came up), I found it was part of the video witha lot of black & white detail causing the encoder to stop! If you have a lot of flash frames or strobe effect it could cause the encoder problems.
  9. Dave@UW thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 3, 2004
    Are there other programs that will burn a VIDEO_TS file so it will play in a dvd player? Making coasters is no fun.