Toast 7 and AC3 AVI's

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by livingfortoday, Nov 19, 2005.

1. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Alrighty, a while back I had problems burning AVI files with Toast 6, so I got my act together and got Toast 7. It worked fine for AVI's that had MP3 audio, but I can't seem to get it to burn DVD's with AVI's that use AC3. I think it may be a Quicktime related problem, though, not a Toast problem. When I run the AVI's in Quicktime, I get no audio, but VLC will play them fine. In Toast, it'll start encoding the DVD, and after about 10 minutes freeze up and quit unexpectedly.

Any ideas? Is there some codec I'm maybe missing?

2. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

Ok, never mind. I think my system's just messed up, actually. Certain programs just won't run, and I can't get the computer to boot off of a system CD. Hmm.... seems I fixed the hardware problems on this Cube, so it has decided to confound me with software ones! Damn!

3. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

QuickTime doesn't support AC3 without a codec, and apparently with 7.0.3, the publicly available AC3 codec is broken. No word on when it might work again.

4. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

Well, that's good to know. I'm actually backing up my data, and going to do a clean install of the system again on the Cube. I'm afraid all the hardware mishaps have affected it somehow, so I'm just gonna try it all over again.

If the problem persists then... well...

5. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Well, I must inform you that Toast 7 uses its own codecs to burn DVD's and CD's from quicktime movies. I can personally verify this, because mpeg movies that could not be played in quicktime correctly (VLC was OK) would be burned normally and played back properly using Toast 7.

Also, in order to play AC3 audio using Quicktime, you must have the appropriate codec installed, and Quicktime doesn't have it by default. VLC can play those files, because it is programmed to play DVD's in general, so AC3 handling should not be a problem using VLC.

6. road dog macrumors regular

7. yarabe macrumors newbie

ac3 codec

I was having the same trouble nice video no sound! I then found out about the AC3 codec....
    I use QT 7.01 with AC3 codec (this codec is still available on:
    http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Audio/AC3-Codec.shtml)

It seems to be working fine..