Toast 7 coming soon?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GigaWire, Aug 18, 2005.

1. GigaWire macrumors 6502

Dec 25, 2001
    While registering my copy of Toast 6 today, I noticed that available versions to register now include Toast 7 Titantium. If you want to check it yourself, head on over to roxio's website and follow the links to register. Not groundbreaking, but I am excited to finally see a new version of Toast on the way.
  2. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

Jan 23, 2004
    San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Could be - watch out with Toast 6.1, though... Deep in the list of changes on this update is a note that says Toast 6.1 (and Jam 6.0.3) will no longer burn Apple Protected AAC files. The last versions of these programs that will burn Apple AACs are Toast 6.0.9 and Jam 6.0.2 - HOWEVER, Toast 6.0.x has had serious problems burning to Dual Layer/Double Layer DVDs, which Roxio claims is fixed in 6.1, so you're really caught between a rock and a hard place if you burn a lot of DVDs and CDs.

I splurged on the whole Toast/Jam package and compromised with my versions: I updated Toast to 6.1 and left Jam at 6.0.2...
  3. xsedrinam macrumors 601

Oct 21, 2004
    Here's the Toast 7. if you're interested. It's posted in another thread.
  4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Yes, I got my pre-order notice yesterday on Toast 7. I'm not sure I need it since I just got Toast 6 not that long ago.
  5. mduser63 macrumors 68040

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I bought Toast 6 two days ago, so it's no surprise that Toast 7 is now on its way. Not real impressed with Toast so far. I've had some problems with it, and I know of at least one feature (besides protected AAC support) that was removed in a point update that would be REALLY nice for me to have.
  6. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    Toast 7 includes Popcorn :) (see the MacBytes thread for a screenshot)
  7. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    Using it now. It rocks. I haven't had a chance to make DiVx movies yet.
  8. rundevilrun macrumors member

Nov 14, 2002
    I just bought it yesterday, so far so good. The disc spanning feature looks really nice but on my only test so far toast couldn't restore from the 2nd disc. However the unix cat command rejoined the split file ok.
  9. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    For all you curious people out there, it's all over BitTorrent. I won't say where but I'm sure you can find it.

10. BiggeeC macrumors regular

Jun 23, 2002
    Gaithersburg, MD
  11. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

Dec 29, 2003
    Almost bought Toast 6 today. Glad I didn't. Seemed a bit of a while since an update.....
  12. risc macrumors 68030

Jul 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    I have Toast 7.0 here and it doesn't include Popcorn. Kind of sucks that I upgraded then noticed the $30 rebate is only for US, Canada.
  13. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

Jan 18, 2004
    No G3 Support

I got my pre-order notice from Roxio, too, but it seems Toast 7 leaves behind G3's (at least on paper, if not in practice.) :(

Hope they're going back to the T5 look. T6 is just ugly.
  14. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    Hmm, I heard that it was included. Apparently it's built in, not a separate app.
  15. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

Mar 15, 2005
    I need some help, before I place my pre-order at Amazon (By the way, Amazon has a $20 rebate through Roxio, and even buying Mac OS X during the past year qualifies you for it).

To the point, can I do this with Toast 7:

I record a lot on my set-top DVD recorder. I record racing, and I transfer home movies to DVD that way. However, my set-top DVD recorder is half-broken, and I can no longer name the titles, and it usually allows me to record only one title.

With Toast, can I pull say a 1 hour title, from one of the DVDs I've made on my set-top recorder, and then pull a 30 minute title, from another home made DVD, and then put both of those titles onto a single DVD, with a nice Toast Menu? Possible?

Thanks! I appreciate your help.
  16. Eastend macrumors 6502

Aug 1, 2004
    Nara, Japan
    Can't reply on Toast 7, but I sometimes make iDVD's that are over the limit. So I pull them into DVD2OneX, it joins 2 or even 3 movies, however you do lose the menus, but the chapter markers are still in place.

17. GM-Xfire macrumors newbie

Apr 25, 2005
    Nope, just new icons for the tabs and for the app, plus all the updates.
  18. GM-Xfire macrumors newbie

Apr 25, 2005
    I don't know, but when you replace your broken stuff, get an Elgato eyeTV unit... I love mine. Using Toast (6) I have made complete sets of lots of my favorite SciFi shows.

Toast 7 does now offer several (10) DVD menu theme's to choose from. But it sucks 'cuase now I need an updated copy of Photoshop to edit the menu .psd files (ARG).
  19. Silencio macrumors 68020

Jul 18, 2002
    If your set-top DVD recorder can produce VR-mode DVD+/-RW discs, then Toast 7 can extract the MPG files from those discs, let you create titles, add a cute iDVD style main menu screen, and burn to a regular DVD+/-R.

That feature alone made Toast 7 a must-get for me. I've been banging my head against a wall trying to extract video streams from VR-mode DVD-RW discs I made on my Pioneer DVD recorder. The Mac won't read VR mode discs in the Finder, and all the Windows apps I tried to work with them... well, let's just say they're not as nice to use as what's available on the Mac.
  20. pbagaindoc macrumors member

Jun 8, 2005
    Do I still need to get Dvd2onex or Popcorn, if I buy Toast 7

If I buy Toast 7, Do I still need get Dvd2onex or Popcorn? Thanks in advance! :)
  21. noel4r macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2002
    Los Angeles
  22. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Feb 1, 2005
    I have already purchased it... I haven't looked at it very well, but it seems well-worth the purchase.

It seems it has automatic compression to single-layer DVD of a movie, automatic DivX conversion....

It also has a tab named "Media" which allow you to burn songs directly from your iTunes Library without having to open iTunes...

That alone is the best feature in my opinion. I haven't burned any disks so far, but I will do it now...
  23. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

Jan 18, 2004
    G3 Trial

Hey, Soulstorm (or anyone else with a G3),

Any chance you can give it a whirl on your G3 and report in? I can't seem to burn out of iPhoto anymore, but Toast never fails me. Seems like this might be a good way around that. But I hate spending the money if the G3 truly is unsupported.

Part of me assumes it's just the intensive stuff like converting the DVD's to single layer that really requires it and that traditional burning of data and CD's should be fine, but a little reassurance would help. :)

24. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Feb 1, 2005
    My G3 hasn't any recorder connected with it. So I can't tell you...

Anyway, I used Toast 7 a little bit with my G5 with superdrive... and it really is everything I ever wanted from a burning application.

You can throw in any quictkime movie, and it will automatically make it a DVD. It will even shrink the DVD to fit into a single-layered DVD disk.

It also has the ability to shrink commercial dvd's to fit into single-layered DVD and to choose wether you want the extras to be burned, or just the main movie... Popcorn and dvd2OneX are not necessary anymore...
  25. micvog macrumors 6502

Sep 10, 2003
    Can anyone tell me whether Toast 7 will burn DVD-Audio or DTS discs?