Toast 7 VS Popcorn

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mhill, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Mhill macrumors member

I just ordered my new Mac and I'm not sure what software i need to get, Toast or Popcorn or both!?

Primarily i want to use the software to RIP DVD's so i can watch them on my Ipod. Any advice gratefully received.

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

3. Mhill thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys

excuse my niavitey but what would be the diference between Mac the Ripper VS Handbrake?

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

1. MacTheRipper - rip and remove region encoding and copy protection from a DVD (Which in turn can be used by Popcorn to burn a another DVD.)

2. Handbrake - Rips DVD's to MPEG-4 or h.264 (Instant Handbrake does ripping to iPod sized format.)

5. bloodycape macrumors 65816

6. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    ya ya, handbrake, great if you wanna watch vids on your CPU. Get Toast 7 for everything else.

7. vi2867 macrumors 6502

vi2867

Here's the link of what Handbrake can do:

List;)

I still have not found any ripper on the Mac side that does ripping for newer DVD's. Mactheripper does not do newer dvd's. Popcorn will only do home made movies. Toast will burn movies, but will not rip movies.

I currently use ShrinkDVD and AnyDVD to rip and burn newer dvd's, but these softwares are only available for mac. Does anyone know about a ripper for mac???