Toast 7 worth it?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JesseJames, Oct 25, 2005.

1. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

I want to make copies of DVD's just for backup purposes of course. Should I get Toast 7 which seems to have all the bells and whistles or should I get Popcorn by Roxio? I know Popcorn compresses the data so how is quality affected?

2. jwtillema macrumors newbie

Toast 7 = Toast 6 + popcorn

That said, Toast 7 won't copy copy protected DVDs. First, you have to use a program like MacTheRipper to first rip the TS folder to your HD, then use Toast 7 to make a DVD from it. Very simple and easy to do. Toast 7 kicks ass and is worth whatever they charge for it.

3. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Yep, what jwtillema said. It's not a cheap program but it's by far the easiest way to do it.

4. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

Toast 7 is really good burning software, and follow what jwtillema said to do about using MacTheRipper and then use DVD2ONEX to compress the dvd down to be able to burn it on Toast.

5. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Toast 7 includes compression software now so you shouldn't need DVD2oneX.

6. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

Really? I didn't know that. Thanks.

7. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

You used to have to buy Popcorn (Roxio's compression utility) separate from Toast 6, but the two have been combined in Toast 7, which incidentally saves you $50.

8. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Toast is worth it alone for the ability to span discs for backups. I regularly archive 20GB files and spanning it across several DVDs is cheaper than saving on HDs and easier to access than tape.

9. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

How do you do that? I've just gotten errors saying not enough sectors when I try to burn a folder larger than 4.4GB. I'm using Toast 6.0.7

10. SummerBreeze macrumors 6502a

SummerBreeze

Toast is a great program, I bought it because of the DIVX features but I've found myself using it all the time. Just go for Toast, you won't be disappointed.

11. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

I held off getting Toast 7 for a while. Version 6 was doing all that I needed but I took the plunge and forked out for V. 7 a few weeks ago.

Well worth it! :)