Toast 8, poorer quality encoding than 7

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by speakerwizard, Feb 25, 2007.

1. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

Aug 8, 2006
    is it me or has the encoding in toast 8 gone down hill, ive only done a couple of things so far (dvd from a h.264 and dvd from dual layer) and they both seem much poorer than what im used to with toast 7, ive double checked all the settings are high as can be for a single layer. i will test the same film with both 7 and 8 but does anyone else have this trouble??
  2. Multimedia macrumors 603

Jul 27, 2001
    Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
    I Don't See Any Difference In Quality Nor Speed With Toast 8 On Quad G5

I hadn't noticed but sure want to know if you're right. I've been encoding max quality DVD images with 8 from EyeTV Digital HD Broadcast Recordings since a week after MacWorld Expo.

I think the interface is a step backwards. I especially don't like the drawer being extended all the time and the way it won't let you minimize the size of the dialog box further down than a lot bigger than it needs to be.

I was told by the Toast 8 authors who also write EyeTV in Germany that 8 will use all 8 cores of the Dual Clovertown Mac Pro so encoding speeds will go way up. But they didn't optimize for 4 cores in the Quad G5. So it doesn't appear to be any faster than 7. Your worse quality report is a shocker. Let us know what you find out in your test. Thanks.