Toast, a DVD-R and 1 hr. of footage...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JOD8FY, Jul 1, 2005.

1. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

Hi Everyone,

I tried to burn about a 55 minute Quicktime movie onto a DVD-R using Toast Titanium. It was almost finished encoding the project when it stopped because it said it had run out of memory. Although I do not remember the exact words of the error message, I assumed that it had run out of space on the DVD (my PB has 768MB of RAM and still 20 GB left on it's HD - also, I was not running any other applications during the process). My question is this: will one hour of Quicktime video fit onto a DVD-R? The file is 17GB in size (although the DVD-R is supposed to be able to record 2 hours of footage). Is there something I have to change in Toast? Should I export the file differently from Final Cut?

Also (becuase I do have a Dual Layer burner), will DL disks play in most TV DVD players?

Thanks for the help,
    JOD8FY

2. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Unless you lower the quality, it will not fit. 17 gigs will not fit on a DVD, even with a dual layer burner. I would liken this to Apple's claim of 10K songs on a 40 gig iPod, only if you encode at 128 AAC.

Can't answer your second question for sure, but they should play in most players, I think... :eek:

3. JOD8FY thread starter macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

Thanks for the reply.

I thought the very same thing - how can 17GB fit on a 4.7GB disk? :rolleyes: According to Toast, however, the meter that displays how much space will be filled on the DVD was not full.

Anyone else know if a DL DVD will work in most TV DVD players?

Thanks,
    JOD8FY

4. freiheit macrumors 6502a

At any rate Quicktime format won't play on a TV DVD player. You'll have to convert the Quicktime to DVD format (which is exactly what iMovie and iDVD do) and burn that to the disc. Toast may or may not be able to handle Quicktime as input (I''m not sure).

As to whether a dual-layer DVD-R will play on a TV DVD player, it should. But judging by remarks on some of the more popular DVD-R forums, not all discs, DVD burners nor DVD players are created equal and there are sometimes problems with certain combinations. But as a general rule, yes it should work.