Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kraftzwerg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
I'm considering to buy Toast as burning software, but couldn't find any information whether it will run on Intel Macs in its current version. I'm sure some of you guys must have tried - many thanks in advance for any info. Also if you know any software with more or less the same functionality but lesser price, please let me know. (I find the $99 pretty steep for only a burning software compared e.g. to the very reasonable pricing for iWork or iLife.)

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
yes, toast works perfectly fine on intel macs running in rosetta. a UB should be out soon and i'm assuming it will be a free upgrade.

you should be able to find better deals on the web than $99. do a froogle search, go to dealmac, or check pricegrabber.

as far as burning software goes, finder and itunes will burn a lot of things like backup discs, audio discs, etc. toast is far more than just burning software...it has a compression engine that allows you to fit movies onto a DVD-R, it has divx, VCD, S-VCD, and multiple-disc spanning capabilities. the usefulness and worth of toast depends on your intended use.

TAV

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2006
Not sure what your complete needs are, but Roxio released Popcorn 2 the other day as a UB. In addition to native support, it has a host of other features (versus the last version) that make it much more usable. I have it, it's rocking just fine. It's $49

road dog

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2004
toast works fine under rosetta on intel... but ub will probably be out soon.

toast is FAR and AWAY better than the very basic burning that comes in the OS. the basic OS stuff doesn't even let you copy your audio CDs. how lame.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
road dog said:
toast works fine under rosetta on intel... but ub will probably be out soon.

toast is FAR and AWAY better than the very basic burning that comes in the OS. the basic OS stuff doesn't even let you copy your audio CDs. how lame.

currently I only have 2x option?

till UB comes out, is there another option other than the OSX function?

rnorthcott

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2006
Toast 7 on intel MAC, DVD writing times

Just out of interest, I'm thinking about purchasing a MAC mini intel duo 1.66Ghz,
with 2Gbytes of RAM. Running Toast 7 under Rosetta, roughly how long does it take to write a movie, maybe 2hrs long, (recorded using Eye TV for example) to DVD? I just want a ball park figure. I have an aging PC which takes forever and I just wanted a comparison.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
They just released Popcorn 2 which is a universal binary.

The fact that Toast 7 works in rosetta fine and with the release of pocorn 2(whose features are usually encorporated into toast) I suspect there will NOT be a universal update for Toast 7

I suspect Toast 8 will be out in the next month or two and that will be the Universal version.

psxnet

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2006
MacRumorUser said:
They just released Popcorn 2 which is a universal binary.

The fact that Toast 7 works in rosetta fine and with the release of pocorn 2(whose features are usually encorporated into toast) I suspect there will NOT be a universal update for Toast 7

I suspect Toast 8 will be out in the next month or two and that will be the Universal version.

I called roxio about the same question and got e-mailed this link:
http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/000027T

They couldn't provide me a date but said it would be coming in the next month or two and be a free update for Toast 7 which is kinda cool.

I also got asked to do a survey for Toast features to win a mac pvr in a mailing they sent out if anyone is interested.

Tell us what you think about Toast! Take our short survey and enter a raffle to win an EyeTV 200 from Elgato Systems.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=592831997824

Whiteapple

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
Haute Savoie,France
rnorthcott said:
Just out of interest, I'm thinking about purchasing a MAC mini intel duo 1.66Ghz,
with 2Gbytes of RAM. Running Toast 7 under Rosetta, roughly how long does it take to write a movie, maybe 2hrs long, (recorded using Eye TV for example) to DVD? I just want a ball park figure. I have an aging PC which takes forever and I just wanted a comparison.

I don't know why, but my burning is kind of slower than before (macbook), it takes 5 minutes to burn a whole 4.37GB DVD at 16X speed with an external burner through firewire (+ 16X certified verbatim dvds) that used to burn it in 3 minutes with an ibook G4 and the same drive. Not that much you will say, I think the internal drive will take up to 25 minutes for the same thing.

Actually, just tested it on a pc, through USB 2.0 takes 5 minutes, may as well just be my drive.

hope this helps:)

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Whenever you burn a movie using Toast under Rosetta the slowdown occurs when Toast starts encoding the movie for DVD content.Encoding video under Rosetta is very slow.

That should be fixed when Roxio comes out with the UB.

Also some DVD+R's might burn at a slower speed than the DVD says due to the DVD itself.I have found that Memorex DVD+R burns at native speeds..
There might be others..

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Peace said:
Also some DVD+R's might burn at a slower speed than the DVD says due to the DVD itself.I have found that Memorex DVD+R burns at native speeds..
There might be others..
Actually the reverse's been happening with me. Sony and Verbatim media work at whatever it says on the DVD (mine are usually 8/16x), but not Memorex or any generic DVD+/-Rs.

Whiteapple

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
Haute Savoie,France
Peace said:
Whenever you burn a movie using Toast under Rosetta the slowdown occurs when Toast starts encoding the movie for DVD content.Encoding video under Rosetta is very slow.

That should be fixed when Roxio comes out with the UB.

There might be others..

forgot to add that the same stuff happens when i burn in Popcorn 2 (UB), and the verbatim discs used to work great
strange

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.