Toast on Intel Macs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kraftzwerg, Apr 22, 2006.

1. kraftzwerg macrumors regular

Jul 8, 2005
    I'm considering to buy Toast as burning software, but couldn't find any information whether it will run on Intel Macs in its current version. I'm sure some of you guys must have tried - many thanks in advance for any info. Also if you know any software with more or less the same functionality but lesser price, please let me know. (I find the $99 pretty steep for only a burning software compared e.g. to the very reasonable pricing for iWork or iLife.)
  2. kugino macrumors 65816

Jul 10, 2003
    yes, toast works perfectly fine on intel macs running in rosetta. a UB should be out soon and i'm assuming it will be a free upgrade.

you should be able to find better deals on the web than $99. do a froogle search, go to dealmac, or check pricegrabber.

as far as burning software goes, finder and itunes will burn a lot of things like backup discs, audio discs, etc. toast is far more than just burning has a compression engine that allows you to fit movies onto a DVD-R, it has divx, VCD, S-VCD, and multiple-disc spanning capabilities. the usefulness and worth of toast depends on your intended use.
  3. TAV macrumors regular

Feb 24, 2006
    Not sure what your complete needs are, but Roxio released Popcorn 2 the other day as a UB. In addition to native support, it has a host of other features (versus the last version) that make it much more usable. I have it, it's rocking just fine. It's $49
  4. road dog macrumors regular

Mar 12, 2004
    toast works fine under rosetta on intel... but ub will probably be out soon.

toast is FAR and AWAY better than the very basic burning that comes in the OS. the basic OS stuff doesn't even let you copy your audio CDs. how lame.
  5. mBox macrumors 68020

Jun 26, 2002
    currently I only have 2x option?

till UB comes out, is there another option other than the OSX function?

6. rnorthcott macrumors newbie

May 3, 2006
    Toast 7 on intel MAC, DVD writing times

Just out of interest, I'm thinking about purchasing a MAC mini intel duo 1.66Ghz,
    with 2Gbytes of RAM. Running Toast 7 under Rosetta, roughly how long does it take to write a movie, maybe 2hrs long, (recorded using Eye TV for example) to DVD? I just want a ball park figure. I have an aging PC which takes forever and I just wanted a comparison.
  7. MRU macrumors demi-god

Aug 23, 2005
    They just released Popcorn 2 which is a universal binary.

The fact that Toast 7 works in rosetta fine and with the release of pocorn 2(whose features are usually encorporated into toast) I suspect there will NOT be a universal update for Toast 7

I suspect Toast 8 will be out in the next month or two and that will be the Universal version.
  8. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

May 28, 2004
    In a false sense of reality...My Mind!
    As where to find Toast less than $99, try as it was $66 about a month ago and then you could use the upgrade rebate as well making it $46 which is a much better price to pay :)
  9. psxnet macrumors newbie

May 5, 2006
    I called roxio about the same question and got e-mailed this link:

They couldn't provide me a date but said it would be coming in the next month or two and be a free update for Toast 7 which is kinda cool.

I also got asked to do a survey for Toast features to win a mac pvr in a mailing they sent out if anyone is interested.

Tell us what you think about Toast! Take our short survey and enter a raffle to win an EyeTV 200 from Elgato Systems.
  10. Whiteapple macrumors regular

Jan 17, 2006
    Haute Savoie,France
    I don't know why, but my burning is kind of slower than before (macbook), it takes 5 minutes to burn a whole 4.37GB DVD at 16X speed with an external burner through firewire (+ 16X certified verbatim dvds) that used to burn it in 3 minutes with an ibook G4 and the same drive. Not that much you will say, I think the internal drive will take up to 25 minutes for the same thing.

Actually, just tested it on a pc, through USB 2.0 takes 5 minutes, may as well just be my drive.

hope this helps:)
  11. Peace macrumors P6

Apr 1, 2005
    Space--The ONLY Frontier
    Whenever you burn a movie using Toast under Rosetta the slowdown occurs when Toast starts encoding the movie for DVD content.Encoding video under Rosetta is very slow.

That should be fixed when Roxio comes out with the UB.

Also some DVD+R's might burn at a slower speed than the DVD says due to the DVD itself.I have found that Memorex DVD+R burns at native speeds..
    There might be others..
  12. janey macrumors 603

Dec 20, 2002
    sunny los angeles
    Actually the reverse's been happening with me. Sony and Verbatim media work at whatever it says on the DVD (mine are usually 8/16x), but not Memorex or any generic DVD+/-Rs.
  13. Whiteapple macrumors regular

Jan 17, 2006
    Haute Savoie,France
    forgot to add that the same stuff happens when i burn in Popcorn 2 (UB), and the verbatim discs used to work great