toast - problem when copying a dvd

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tylerc083, May 8, 2005.

1. tylerc083 macrumors newbie

so i'm trying to make a backup of one of my dvd's. i first used mac the ripper. and then used dvd2oneX to make a copy of the the ripped files.

i then tried to burn it with toast. however, when it goes to verify the files, it comes back with 'problem with source material'

I'm new to mac's and the process of backing up dvd's. so perhaps i'm doing something wrong in the process, but from what i have read, i think i am doing it correctly.

has this happened to others? or is there a better way of going about this?

thanks

2. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

I used to use DVD2oneX, but now I use Roxio Popcorn. It does a better job, I think, and it eliminates a step, since it both recode recodes and burns the DVD. It you have a registered version of Toast, you can get a discount on Popcorn; it's actually cheaper than DVD2oneX.

3. tylerc083 thread starter macrumors newbie

dave-

thanks for the response.

not to be dumb, but i'd rather just make sure i understand the whole process rather than just assume.

so just use mac the ripper, then just open the 'video_ts' folder that MTR created with popcorn and burn?

If the DVD is larger than 4 gig, will popcorn shrink it down - a la dvd2one?

also i've heard there are issues with Tiger & popcorn, has that been fixed?

sorry to have so many questions at once. just new to this. and if popcorn can, indeed, make all of this quite simple, i'll just go out and buy it.

thanks again
    tyler

4. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

That's exactly what Popcorn is designed to do, it works fine on 10.3, don't know if the 10.4 issues are fixed yet, won't take long though.

5. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Yes, you just drag the movie folder that MTR creates (title of movie) to the main Popcorn window, then click the "Copy Options" if you don't want the whole DVD. Note: Popcorn will sometimes choke if you didn't rip the entire DVD with MTR, so always use the "Full Disk Extraction" mode in MTR. Yes, Popcorn will recode the movie to fit on a DVD5; it also supports dual layer burners.

6. mileslong macrumors 6502

mileslong

first about popcorn. it does now work on tiger. i had to download the patch for it to work though, the patch is now available on the roxio site.

i quit trying to use toast to burn dvd's all i would ever get are errors. buffer underrun issues among others. popcorn has worked flawlessly. i have mac the rippper, dvd2onex and popcorn. you can just use popcorn to compress the movie then burn it after ripping it with mac the ripper.

dvd2onex used to not work, it kept saying that i didnt have enough room on the dvd after ripping it. i adjusted the file size on the program for 4200 instead of 4400 and it now works, but with popcorn you really dont need it. i havent timed them to see which compresses files faster...

hope that helps...

7. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Popcorn is slower than DVD2oneX, but it produces better output. Popcorn is more like Nero Recode.

8. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Does Popcorn handle DVD discs encoded with ARccOS copy protection? MacTheRipper does, but I detest the interface.

9. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Popcorn won't rip the discs, it's a compressor/burner combination, it requires a VIDEO_TS folder or disc-image to operate.

10. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

No. Popcorn does not decrypt a DVD. You have to use a separate ripper, as you do with DVD2oneX, then you use Popcorn to recode the content down to a DVD5 and burn it.