Toast - should I get it?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chuchichan2524, Mar 17, 2006.

1. chuchichan2524 macrumors regular

I have a Powerbook G4 and I was wondering if Toast 7 is worth the purchase. I currently use the built-in Disk Copy program. But, I've noticed that it's difficult to write multiple sessions with Disk Copy and in general I think it's very slow at burning.

So, I was wondering if Toast 7 is a highly recommended program. What sorts of things will Toast 7 allow me to do that I am not able to do with Disk Copy?

Thanks.

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Yes.

Look a bit around. There's at least one thread around here mentioning somewhere that sells Toast 7 for $39.95 after rebates. Which is a very good price... :)

3. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

If you're also in the market for an external DVD writer, some are available with Toast 7 (though I admit, the only one I know of is the Lacie d2). That makes Toast a good deal. And disk copying a real breeze, as you can just copy from one drive to the other, on-the-fly.

In general though, Toast is a great piece of software. Very easy to use, yet comprehensive in features.

4. IanF0729 macrumors regular

IanF0729

I've always thought Toast was worth the money. I know we have methods built-in to OS X for burning CDs or DVDs, but I like Toast's functionality and ease of use.

5. squirrel77 macrumors member

squirrel77

toast also lets you use additional external dvd/cd writers that might not be supported by Tiger itself. That way you can buy an internal dvd writer and a firewire external enclosure and save yourself some money :)

6. i.Feature macrumors 6502

i.Feature

Toast is the one program i buy and upgrade almost every edition. I recomend it to everyone i know who buys a mac. Too me it's an essential piece of software.

7. mac.FINN macrumors member

I love Toast... I'm still using Toast 5 (I guess I haven't gotten around to upgrading) but it's still a great program. Easy, intuetive and very sharp looking if I do say so :D

Anyway, I'd much rather use toast than any other burning software I've tried.

8. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Toast 7 is fantastic, might even be my favorite peice of software other than iTunes.

So easy, 'just works"

get it, get it now.

9. Melkor macrumors 6502

10. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I can't say enough good things about Toast 7 - well worth the money IMO. I like it so much I even wrote the guide for it for MacRumors. :cool:

11. chuchichan2524 thread starter macrumors regular

Does Toast 7 allow me to compress a DVD movie into an AVI file (or some file format that I can put onto an SD card). I'm looking for a way to compress a movie so I can watch it on my Palm.

Thanks.

12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I've never used Toast for that, so I'm not sure about AVIs. Toast can convert video files to DivX, 3GPP, H.264, etc....

Regardless, for something like that though you might as well just use Handbrake. :cool:

13. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

I would recomend getting toast 7. Sure the mac comes with nice and easy built in imaging software, but I get a lot of errors when I try to back up games with the built in imaging. Toast works great.

14. acer66 macrumors newbie

i am also looking for a burn program, what about popcorn ? is that a part of toast and if not what is the difference ? i am looking for an easy to use program for making copies of my dvd`s

thank you

15. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

OS X has some nice features built in, but Toast is so full of features it's bound to be useful to just about everybody. It's a little on the pricey side but currently I've seen it going for $79.99 and a $20 mail-in rebate.

16. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

As of v7, Toast has implemented some of Popcorn's functionability. Toast burns things onto a physical disc, and I believe Popcorn helps to compress/convert data into a different format (that you would then burn).

As for price on Toast? MacMall has a deal right now:
    $79 -$20 Roxio MIR -$10 MacMall exclusive MIR= $49.

However, shipping at $7+ kills that deal for me. :p

17. acer66 macrumors newbie

18. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Like I said... only v7 has the implemented functions of Roxio's Popcorn software. Prior to v7, if you wanted that kind of software you either had to buy Popcorn in addition to Toast, or find freeware substitutes.

I do believe, that even w/ Toast however, you still need to rip the information from your personally owned DVDs onto your HD. A ton of people seem to use MactheRipper for that purpose.

Also, Handbrake serves as another compressor/coder.

19. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

7 is a huge improvement over 6 IMO due to the integration of Popcorn and the resulting additional video/DVD features. There's nothing wrong with 6, but 7 is noticeably better. :cool:

20. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Also one feature that is great is being able to split say...10-15GB of whatever onto four dvds and it will tell you when to insert the next disc, then proceed with what it was doing :D This makes backups of your data, photos, music as simple as can be.

21. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yes, this spanning feature is very useful as well. :cool:

22. dcv macrumors G3

If anyone in the UK is looking for Toast, I bought mine from Cancom last week for £54. I think it's about £69 in most other shops.

23. squirrel77 macrumors member

squirrel77

24. elisha cuthbert macrumors 6502a

elisha cuthbert

Get it

Buying toast is the best thing I have ever done (except for throwing my old pc out the window), i upgrade it and its so easy to use
    Basically what i am saying is "Get it, its awesome":)

25. acer66 macrumors newbie

i second the throwing out part and i got me toast for a little under $55 at the door off ebay yesterday