Toast won't

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Mala, Dec 13, 2003.

1. Mala macrumors 6502

Trying to burn a CD using Toast Titanium on a G4 PowerBook. But Toast won't toast the CD. The Record button is greyed out. Any ideas?

2. Mala thread starter macrumors 6502

By the way, I tried to burn the same CD using iTunes, but it first said it couldn't find the CD burner, then changed its mind and burned it, but made my very first toaster on this machine. Ahhh.

3. Mala thread starter macrumors 6502

And now it's eaten the coaster CD and I have *no* idea how to get it out. Ack! New machines!

4. cpjakes macrumors 6502

Well, I can help on one problem...

To get the CD out, you can restart and hold down the trackpad/mouse button. This will eject media from the optical drive.

As for your general burning problems, it almost seems like it doesn't consistently recognize the burner as a burner... What about disc burning from the Finder? Does that work? Just trying to troubleshoot...

5. Mala thread starter macrumors 6502

Burning from the Finder? You can do that? How, please? I'll try in the morning; mind has left me an hour or so ago.

6. cpjakes macrumors 6502

Maybe depends on your OS...

Under OS X, if you insert a blanc disc, you should get a prompt to Prepare or Ignore the disc. Should you choose to prepare it, you are basically mounting a writable disc image in the Finder that you can dump files into. Upon eject, it will ask if you want to burn. It's not as pretty as Toast, but if it works it could help you narrow down your problem a little bit.

If you still get nothing from the Finder when you insert a blank disc, maybe something happened to the driver.

You haven't stated otherwise, but I assume that already burned or commercial CDs are read properly?

cpjakes

7. Mala thread starter macrumors 6502

Commercial discs automatically open iTunes when I insert them, and happily play their music.

I get no such notice when I insert a blank disc, cpjakes; I did try Finder and found the Burn Disc option in the File menu. It appeared to find the burner and tried to burn the disc, but then announced a fail.

And this morning when I went to turn the computer on I had quite a while of it refusing to turn on, while mumbling at its CD drive.

Eventually it did turn on. I'm wondering if it's a problem with the drive or the software.

This is a new machine - now all of a fortnight old, I think. I've been gradually moving my stuff from the old PowerBook to this one, and last night finally sold the old one and moved over definitively. So I hope it's not going to turn out to have problems!

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Open up System Profiler (Apple Menu -> About This Mac -> More Info), then click ATA on the left. You will get a list of drives on the right. Click anywhere in this list, then press Command-A to select all. You will get some text underneath (in the white area), click in there, then Command-A again to select it. The press Command-C to copy it, then come back here to the forum and paste it all in. Hopefully it will be helpful :)

9. Mala thread starter macrumors 6502

No! I got Contents on the left and Hardware Overview on the right, but Hardware includes only Memory, PCI/AGP Cards, ATA, SCSI, USB, FireWire, AirPort Card and Modems. Nary a CD or DVD listed. Yet the ghost CD plays DVDs and CDs.

Here's the pasted-in information anyway (I've X'd out my computer's serial number):

Hardware Overview:

Machine Model: PowerBook5,2
    CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.1)
    Number Of CPUs: 1
    CPU Speed: 1.25 GHz
    L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
    Memory: 1 GB
    Bus Speed: 167 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: 4.71f1
    Serial Number: xx