Toast

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Tech198, Jan 30, 2013.

1. macrumors 603

Hi all..

Having issues with Toast.....

I have about 8 42 or 43 minitutes Xvid (extent ion is .avi) movies in Toast, but the window shows 957MB used with 7.01GB remaining, yet after encoding, i get a warning saying I do not have enough space on the duel layer disc i inserted.

Space required is 10Gig

Can someone clear this up ? I can't make sense of this... How can 5 hours equal under 100MB ? I though Toast meter showed you what the finished burn would be based on the disc.

The sizes of these 8 files in finger equal to over 1 Gig...

ANy solution to this ?

Attached Files:

2. simsaladimbamba

You original .avi files are quite small for their lengths, but that is due to their abysmal small resolutions (around 400 x 300 pixel).

As you create a video DVD with almost six hours of content, even a DL-DVD does not have enough storage capacity for this, as a video DVD uses an older, less space efficient, MPEG-2 codec and a set resolution (720 x 576 for PAL and 720 x 480 for NTSC), thus it needs more storage space than the already highly compressed .avi files, which use XVID as codec, which is an MPEG-4 variant and more space efficient than MPEG-2, and those .avi files are only using a third of the resolution they have to be for being on a video DVD.

I do not know, why Toast gives you those numbers at the bottom though, probably due to Toast not being programmed in a way to show you the final size, only programmed to show you the current file sizes.

Is that understandable?

3. macrumors 68020

Convert and cut up in MPEG STREAMCLIP before trying TOAST.
    The files are just trying to conform to the DVD rules.
    Read what simsaladimbamba says :)