Toatal Hard Drive copy -Questions

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by LimeiBook86, Jun 21, 2003.

1. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Ok My G3 MiniTower is acting up...The Macintosh won't startup without the Mac OS 9.0 CD, then it reads the HD. I ran disk first aid but it can't repair that HD and keeps saying run the repair proccess agian, which I did. Now either I find a way to boot back into OS X (9 and X on same HD) or I copy teh 10gb HD ot my dad's 20GB on his G4. My options are ethernet and FireWire Target Disk Mode. FireWire is faster so I would liek that. But what about any hidden files? Help would be great. I will try and find a 9.2 CD or something so that I can boot back to OS X wish me luck...

2. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-LimeiBook86

You're on the right track with FireWire.

You wish to Clone your HD. Easy enough.

Get Carbon Copy Cloner for your Dad's machine, connect your Dad's G4 to yours, your machine in target mode, and run the cloning operation from your Dad's machine.

Have your Clone image blown into a Disk Image, to keep it cordoned off from your Dad's software.

When you get a new HD for you machine, just clone it back.

3. LimeiBook86 thread starter macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Good news, I booted from a 9.2 CD and I got into OS X now, everything is fine. When I get a new HD I will use Carbon Copy Cloner, thanks patrickObrien...:D

4. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-LimeiBook86

Ok then! Glad to hear it.

I'd say get that new HD regardless. Sounds like it's failing.