Today Android celibrates its 5th birthday

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by digital.l0gic, Nov 5, 2012.

1. macrumors member

Sep 3, 2012

Before you guys pounce on me by saying "how could that be?, it was first released in Sept 23, 2008", I hasten to add that the birth-date I refer to is the one when the Open handset Alliance was first announced. The Android operating system was first mentioned there.

Here is the original article from 5 years ago

^^ More in the source Link.

I remember reading this news article 5 years ago. I knew the moment I read this that within a few years Android will become the dominant OS. Today we customers benefit due to the existence of Android. Competition drives innovation and reduces prices. The customer is a definite winner thanks to Android.

Also, Who can dislike the cute green robot....or the cuter Jellybean Mascot

Happy Birthday Android! :)
  2. macrumors 604

Jan 8, 2012
    If we are talking about BIRTH day Android itself would be 9 years 1 month old since Android Inc was founded in Oct 2003. The later purchased by Google in 2005.
  3. thread starter macrumors member

Sep 3, 2012
    yep, you are right..I should have said Announcement-day :D

PS: I didn't know that Android Inc was funded by Google ventures even in 2003...(I knew they and they bought it outright in 2005). Google must have been thinking of a Mobile Operating system even earlier than generally thought of.
  4. macrumors 604

Jan 8, 2012
    Shhhhh.....don't let the secret out....
  5. thread starter macrumors member

Sep 3, 2012
    Yep...people still think Google copied/copied the concept of a mobile OS after Schmidt joined the Apple board. Google had bought Android even before Schmidt joined the board, and furthermore they were funding android from 2003 onwards :D
  6. macrumors 68030

Jul 30, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Dunno if you saw the original Android format, when it was released, it was a Blackberry OS clone. A far cry from what it subsequently became post-iOS.
  7. thread starter macrumors member

Sep 3, 2012
    Nope, this is a oft repeated myth.
    Android is Not a phone. It is an OS, and from the early days it supported full screen phones (Btw there were full touchscreen phones before the iPhone)

Here is the video (check from 3 min mark)