Today Android celibrates its 5th birthday

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by digital.l0gic, Nov 5, 2012.

1. macrumors member

[​IMG]

Before you guys pounce on me by saying "how could that be?, it was first released in Sept 23, 2008", I hasten to add that the birth-date I refer to is the one when the Open handset Alliance was first announced. The Android operating system was first mentioned there.

Here is the original article from 5 years ago

^^ More in the source Link.

I remember reading this news article 5 years ago. I knew the moment I read this that within a few years Android will become the dominant OS. Today we customers benefit due to the existence of Android. Competition drives innovation and reduces prices. The customer is a definite winner thanks to Android.

Also, Who can dislike the cute green robot....or the cuter Jellybean Mascot

Happy Birthday Android! :)

2. macrumors 604

cynics

If we are talking about BIRTH day Android itself would be 9 years 1 month old since Android Inc was founded in Oct 2003. The later purchased by Google in 2005.

3. thread starter macrumors member

yep, you are right..I should have said Announcement-day :D

PS: I didn't know that Android Inc was funded by Google ventures even in 2003...(I knew they and they bought it outright in 2005). Google must have been thinking of a Mobile Operating system even earlier than generally thought of.

4. macrumors 604

cynics

Shhhhh.....don't let the secret out....

5. thread starter macrumors member

Yep...people still think Google copied/copied the concept of a mobile OS after Schmidt joined the Apple board. Google had bought Android even before Schmidt joined the board, and furthermore they were funding android from 2003 onwards :D

6. macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Dunno if you saw the original Android format, when it was released, it was a Blackberry OS clone. A far cry from what it subsequently became post-iOS.

7. thread starter macrumors member

Nope, this is a oft repeated myth.
    Android is Not a phone. It is an OS, and from the early days it supported full screen phones (Btw there were full touchscreen phones before the iPhone)

Here is the video (check from 3 min mark)

http://youtu.be/1FJHYqE0RDg

:)