today i'm getting a TiBook!!! (i'm finally converted!)

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by cb911, May 13, 2002.

1. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

finally, i'm going to go and get a TiBook today. i really wanted the 800, but i guess i'm going to have to be happy with the 667. oh yeah, i'm a PC person as well, so this is my first Mac.

i've heard about the keys on the TiBooks putting marks on the screen and i'm wondering if it is really necessary to buy a special thing to cover the keys? can't i just use a piece of paper?

if there's anyone with any TiBook or Mac tips, i would really appreciate it if you could let me know. remember i'm a PC person, are there any things that i might inadvertantly do to stuff up my TiBook? or are they pretty much bulletproof? thanks.:D

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Congrats on the new machine and welcome to Macdom. I've got a TiPB as well and I've noticed the marks on the screen, but only when the machine is off. If you clean off the screen, they tend to go away pretty much.

The Titanium Shell isn't bulletproof, so you'd do best by taking good care of it, and in return it will treat you well. I can't tell you how many times I've had people look at it in awe and fall in love with it at first site. :D

3. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

hey, well done! I hope you enjoy it, well I don't need to hope, I know you will!

Have a good time with it.

Ensign

4. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

thanks all, i should have lots of fun into the wee mornings with it.

i just though about the case. should i get a hard case, or will i use by backpack and put some foam inside it? i'm thinking about getting a hardcase backpack from Boblbee. have a look at their site, they have got the coolest bags i've ever seen!:D

BOBLBEE.COM

5. sphereboy macrumors 6502

sphereboy

congrats buddy. i'm also a pc convert because of the new tiBook lineup... (many converts these days) :cool:

i just ordered the Cargo series bag from SFBags (currently down :( )

Those boblbee bags are nice but they seem pretty bulky for my tastes. I like having my things at hands reach.

Well enjoy your new TiBook...as i'm still awaiting for mine from the Apple Store :rolleyes:

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

7. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

well done
    I hope you have hours of crash free computing in OS X

8. freedom macrumors member

Royal Midsommarkransen, Stockholm, Sweden
    Welcome!

You made the right decision,
    welcome to a world of pleasure!

But couldn´t you explain what made you convert?

I´ve seen you around here for a while, so you
    should know a bit about rumoured macs by now… :)
    Is it Mac OSX or just the sleek design of the TiBook?

Bring it to work (or school) and convert a few
    more of the nonbelievers!

9. Grufi macrumors newbie

just got my 667

Well, I finally got an Ti 667 DVI this weekend. It's great!
    No problems with a noisy fan, and yet no keyboard marks on the screen - I hope they will never come..
    The screen is nice too, though the TFT resolution is a problem for some games. Civ III does´'t support full screen and thus doesn't look very nice. I installed the OSX version and it runs slower than the OS9 version on my 350MHZ iMac :( . How comes?

10. Geert macrumors 6502a

Geert

congrats on your new Tibook.
    Enjoy.

Oh and welcome to the macfreaks :p

11. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Sweet that you've made the jump over. Where did you buy your new Ti from?

12. gambit macrumors member

Case

My dad uses a case designed for photography equipment but is waterproof has padding and other neat stuff! I'll give company's name when I find it...
    WHERE IS IT!

13. gambit macrumors member

CAse

Its called TUNDRA and is manufactured by Underwater Kinetics! Kinda bulky but GREAT!:)

14. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

ok everyone, i had to get a Mac because i'm studying graphic design. being a XP user, OS X is going to take a bit of getting used to. i've sort of got the hang of it. i bought the TiBook from Infinite Systems in Brisbane. picked it up straight after college.
    i can't believe how quiet it is! there is absolutely no noise apart from the hard drive and CD drive.

does anyone have fluid? if you don't you should get it, here's the site: http://www.concepthouse.com/products/Fluid/
    i just got it today and i'm having a bit of trouble getting it going. wait, i just had an idea. (tries idea) yeah! it worked!!:D now all i've got to do is figure out how to get more colour maps....

another thing that i'm having trouble with is networking my PC and the TiBook. the PC is hooked up to the net, and the TiBook is hooked up to the PC. for some reason i can use the internet through the PC, but i can't transfer files from the PC to the TiBook. if anyone has any tips on this, it would be really appreciated. :D

15. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I want a TiBook so bad! I can't wait to get one, one day.

16. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

Did you get any stuck pixels?
    I want one also, but am afraid to buy one, what a pain..

17. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

On my Tibook, I haven't noticed any stuck pixels yet.. I hope they never come either.. I've said it before and i'll say it again.. this thing rocks!

18. King Cobra macrumors 603

I have a stuck pixel on my iBook 466 (Graphite) near the left side. It stays red all the time when the computer is on. I wonder why that happens.

Man, all these PC users switching to Macs and buying a new Powerbook is detracting me from my class work. Well, it better not for the following two months.

Maybe we should spell PCs as pcs, and everyone should put caps on Macs or ANYTHING relating to Apple Computers. That would make us look real superior. And He (Steve Jobs) has been doing a great job with His products, keep up the Great Work. :)

Any time is a great time for iPod.

19. sphereboy macrumors 6502

sphereboy

OSX did it for me. windows xp is alot of hype but nothing new. OSX seems far more advanced.

20. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

cb911, a few things... www.OtherWorldComputing.com sells pieces of leather to go over the keyboards to prevent marks from appearing on your screen from them.

I have a BrentHaven backpack to carry my laptop. The part that the laptop goes into (a sleeve) has protective foam as well as rigid plastic all around it. The compartment the sleeve goes into is also padded, with extra on the bottom.

For getting to files on the peecee, try using Sharity (check on www.versiontracker.com for the site/download). If you are a student, you can get a free version. I would suggest getting a router of some kind to help share your internet connection. I have an Airport base station on my home network going online for me 24/7 as well as giving out IP addresses (it acts as a DHCP server). That would also allow you to get an Airport card for your new TiBook and go anywhere within 150 feet of the base station and still be online. I went with a brand new base station when I picked up my new TiBook just over a week ago. It is better then the original base station I was using previously. Connection is rock solid, as long as you don't have a portable phone that uses 2.4GHz for connecting to the base.

21. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

That's because it is more advanced.. :D

22. sphereboy macrumors 6502

sphereboy

WORD :eek:

AlphaTech. I was reading about that program you recomended "Sharity".. sounds like a great program. I'm gonna have to try it out.

I like the fact you can execute a file without having to copy it over like an ftp. :D

Thanks for the tip!

23. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

I do have such a phone. Alpha, will it deter my base station even if its off?

24. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

good to hear.. I have thought about it, but haven't actually tried it (yet). I have a win2k game peecee that is only running when I need to do some massive killing. The main factor for it being off in the past was the noise level it put out. With the new case and such that I put all the guts of it into, the noise level has dropped to 1/2, or less, of what it was before. I am getting ready to swap out the two 40GB hard drives (set up as RAID 0) with some much larger drives (120GB or 160GB each for either 240GB or 320GB total :D). When that is done, I might set it up for more file sharing, but don't really need to. Considering how my TiBook is my main system (I use it daily, for both internet and any scanning/graphics work).