Today is Memorial Day

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ShovelHead84, May 29, 2006.

1. ShovelHead84 macrumors member

i hope you all will remember that today in the United States is Memorial Day… it is a day to pay honor homage to those who have given their lives to keep us free…

those of my generation and your's too owe our freedom to our ancestors who fought (and the young people that fight today) to preserve freedom and to leave a legacy of those freedoms to those who come after us…

those who paid the ultimate sacrifice deserve our thanks and above all respect no matter what our individual attitudes or political leanings or ideology…

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE.

2. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

3. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

Just out of curiosity, what significance is todays date for Memorial day?

4. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

The National Holiday Act of 1971 formally set the observance of Memorial Day as the last Monday in May, for the purpose of creating a 3-day weekend. Memorial Day is more properly observed on 30 May, the date designated by the creator of the day (can't recall his name offhand), to honor those who died during the Civil War. After World War I, Memorial Day became a day of rememberance for fallen American soldiers of any war.

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I agree, Freedom isnt Free and we should thank all who have served through the years and never ever ask our guys to risk their life for made up wars like Bush's WMDs. Happy Memorial Day to all.

6. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

now i know squat about most US holidays, (thanksgiving is the most confusing - i just ask myself "why?"), but all this thread has given me is that damn song from Team America, stuck in my head.

:rolleyes:

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Sorry about your song, i never saw team America. Memorial day is a thank you to all that have served and died. Many many have sacrificed their lives through the years and they didnt do it for George's patriot act false Police state with no borders.. It was was for real freedom and real liberty something that escapes this President & Senate.

8. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

all i know is it is the first week in a very very long time that i get two days off from work in a row.

and i start summer night class tomorrow

9. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

here we go... I can totally see this thread getting moved to the political forum. :rolleyes:

It's a good day to remember those that have fallen while protecting and serving our country and to focus on the freedom they have fought to protect. So with that... Happy Memorial Day!

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

11. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Well put. Thank you for saying this.

...and thank you for your dedicated service to our wonderful country!

12. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

exactly right

13. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

Dude, seriously, don't piss on the flowers......

14. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

15. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

<sigh>

It seems Memorial Day is just a little too poignant these days...and some would probably consider it to bitter.

Funny that most people just remember only that they don't have to work today.

16. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

It's also the first day of "summer," the day the pools open, the day to start wearing white (but only until Labor Day), and if you have time you can think about fallen soldiers.

To echo others, it would be nice to not think about politics for the rest of the day.

And Thanksgiving...why why? The historic purpose of the day is one that we should give thanks for the blessings in our lives. Like every other holiday, is has been bastardized by various commercial industries.

17. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Whats the deal with the no white clothes after Labor Day?

18. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I don't know. I just remember watching some TV show or movie or something from the 80s/90s and people would talk about the poor girl who was obviously uncultured because she wore white after Labor Day. I think I remember Hilary Banks making the comment to some of her friends (that was good TV...) :)

EDIT: According to Wikipedia, citing to the Ask Yahoo feature of Yahoo, "An old, and now largely ignored, custom prohibits the wearing of white after Labor Day. The explanations for this tradition range from the idea that white clothes are worse protection against cold weather and easily soiled in damp weather than colored clothes to the intention of the rule as a status symbol for new members of the middle class in the late 19th century and early 20th century."

19. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Thanks, I thought it actually had some kind of meaning. Makes me want to wear white after LD. :D

20. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

Admit it... you saw it when you saw the chick flick "Never Been Kissed." That's the only movie/show where I've ever heard it.... :D

21. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I saw it on a commercial. I think it was a credit card commercial. Visa or Mastercard.

22. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Same here. :(

But I do thank those service men and women who makes freedom possible in America. God bless them.

23. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Do you take that same smarmy tone during Armistance Day? :mad: