Today's Announcements: The Untold Story

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 15, 2008.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Here are some details that have come to light as the day has rolled along.

iPhone/iPod Touch Location Technology
    While some had speculated that Apple would simply be incorporating Google's recently announced location services into the new software, Apple has actually used a hybrid technology that uses both Google's data (using cellular triangulation) and data from Skyhook Wireless (using a database of known Wi-Fi hotspot locations) to pinpoint the location. This enables the location feature to be used on the iPod touch, which cannot use Google's service due to lack of cellular capabilities, but can utilize Skyhook's Wi-Fi database.

iPod Touch Paid Upgrade
    The $20 upgrade for the iPod touch software was met with a cool reception both by the keynote crowd and by MacRumors readers. While we have not received an official reason for the move, we remind users that only the iPhone and Apple TV are currently using Apple's "subscription revenue" accounting model. As such, Apple has explained that it can give software updates for those devices, when possible, for free. The iPod touch does not fall under this model, and therefore under Apple's reasoning, a major feature upgrade must incur a charge.

We have heard that all current iPod touch models already in the distribution channel without the new software have been immediately discounted by $20 to accommodate for the upgrade fee.

Article Link

2. macrumors newbie

NDLaHam

I think the 20 dollars is reasonable. I am not complaining. Even though some say those apps should have been their from the start, it is still a good deal and I am happy to pay for it if it helps the software developers build these apps. They are a business, they are supposed to make money. They arn't just gonna give out free stuff to all their customers just because they support them. A lot of the digg community was extremely mad about this it seemed. It's only 20 bucks guys.

Never been the first post either. Sweet.

3. macrumors 6502a

gusapple

I am so glad that I can use the locate me tool! It is way helpful for getting around!

4. macrumors 6502a

If it was that much of a deal-breaker to anyone, then they shouldn't have bought the iPod Touch.

Many users won't even take advantage of the upgrade because they don't need those additional features. For those who need them, it's an entirely reasonable price.

5. macrumors 6502

So if I go to the Apple store this weekend to get the ipod touch, it should have the iphone apps on it. right?

6. macrumors demi-god

Zwhaler

I think the upgrade should be free, because I've already paid 400$ for a top of the line product and I don't see why I should pay more to get something another equally expensive product gets for free.

7. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

If you want that new Google thingamajig very soon, you need to pay $20 for it. However, these models are/should be discounted by $20, so you lose nothing.

However, iPod Touch models with the software already included will be in store shelves quite soon. This way, you don't need to go through the "hassle" of upgrading.

8. macrumors Core

iBlue

Do you think the word "should" means a damn thing to Apple? (Arrogant greedy twats that they are) Nope.

There's a lot of things that they should do but never will. Sad what's become of them.

9. macrumors 6502

ricosuave

So Macs are under the subscription model? Because they get constantly updated.

10. macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

I was quite happy to pay the $20 for the upgrade. Didn't like jailbreaking my touch and the cat and mouse game with hacking. I believe Jobs was quite clear when the touch launched that it was an iPod first and not a smartphone.

With these new features it brings me that much closer to getting rid of my Windows Mobile smartphone. If only the iPhone was available worldwide I wouldn't have bought the touch.

If you're happy with your touch you don't have to upgrade, you bought it knowing it was an iPod. The hacking community has given people a sense of self-entitlement and self-righteousness.

11. macrumors 68040

I was happy to pay $20 to get the extra features. If you were unhappy buying the iPod in the first place for $300 or $400 without these features, you shouldn't have purchased it and expected them to show up for free later on.

I don't see how this is any different than buying a new computer with iLife '07 and then a few months later having new computers include iLife '08 for free while everyone else has to pay for it.

12. macrumors 68000

The $20 upgrade fee only really hurts those that *just* bought an iPod touch. However, how long is "just"? A week? A month? The line needs to be drawn somewhere, and Apple chose to draw that line starting today. It's their business, and they don't owe their customers anything more than what they have delivered at the time of purchase. It's a simple transaction, and now they've chosen to enhance their product line while keeping it at the same price point. Any previous customers that want to upgrade their units to the same level should pay. That's not hard to figure out.

13. macrumors regular

I see it like updating to Leopard. If you already HAVE an iMac, you don't get the upgrade to Leopard for free. I have said this a bit but this is exactly what I expected: an update to give the touch more PDA like capabilities. It is even how much I thought it would be. I mean, it is a very reasonable price. They could be asking $40, $50, or MORE fore it.

I know first thing I did when I got home from work...update and upgrade!

14. macrumors regular

If it does not, it will be 20 bucks cheaper, so you can then pay for the upgrade on iTunes and net out the same.

The rest of this post is general and not directed at aznkid25 in particular...

It amazes me how many people in various threads are hammering apple for charging for this upgrade. Can someone show me where the iPod Touch marketing materials EVER said this was an upgradeable general purpose computing device? When iPhone was introduced they SPECIFICALLY said it would be upgraded, and that the upgrades were free. When they launched iPod touch, they NEVER said anything like that. They related everything on it back to either "it's the touch version of what is on the current iPod, calendar that you can't edit, etc." OR that it was necessary to make the wireless work (Safari etc.) The benefit that you could then surf the web after using Safari to get onto the wireless network, was a bonus.

People are so unbelievably unreasonable these days. "It should have come with these apps in the first place." It didn't, you chose to buy it knowing there was no promise of them coming later for free. Get over it. Sheesh! I suppose you want a pony too right? :)

To be clear, I am not speaking from a position of "it hasn't happened to me yet" either. I stood in line on 6/29/07. I paid $600 for my iPhone. I was not irked when he cut the price. I shrugged my shoulders and said "was bound to happen, such is the life of an earlier adopter." They clearly laid out what I was getting and what is was going to cost, I liked what was on offer so I bought it.

Apple makes cool products, they are marketing geniuses, and their stuff is bleeding edge. Stands to reason that if you buy early on, you're paying a higher price.

be well

t

15. macrumors 68000

The software updates include bug fixes and security enhancements. Rarely do they include new features. Apple's operating on a 12 to 18 month period between major updates to OS X, which you have to pay for.

The exception is software that is already free, such as iTunes.

16. macrumors regular

No they don't. The hardware is upgraded, but they don't run around giving existing owners free hardware upgrades.

Upgrades to Leopard fall under the bug fix category which means "making it do what we said it would do." That's not "technically, in accounting parlance" an upgrade.

When they launched Leopard, Tiger users had to pay for it. That they started shipping it on all new macs, well that was a change in specification for new purchases. Entirely different.

17. macrumors 68000

According to their retail policy, 14 calendar days.
    -Chasen

18. macrumors member

Can anyone tell how updating of Touch is going to work?

Are there two versions let say 1.1.3. free and 1.1.3 Plus (with iPhone apps) at 20$... or there's only one 1.1.3 which you can get only by paying 20$...

This makes me uncomfortable - if any other update is gonna be paid - how about bug fixes? And what is more important how am I supposed to get these extra fitures if in my country there's no iTunes Store but iPod Touch is sold officially. How am I supposed to pay?

19. macrumors 6502a

I too thought was extremely angry with :apple: today for not including thos updates for free. But then I had some sense knocked into me by some of the forum members here are realized the reasons I was being nonsensical. I have now upgraded to 1.1.3 and am currently awaiting my iPod touch to load my music back on it before I actually purchase the app package. Having a non jailbroken iPod just seems like the right thing to do now that the apps are officiallly available. Who's with me?

20. macrumors regular

Wonder if the location feature will actively track you as you move, or if you need to keep hitting that "locate me" button in the lower left corner?

21. macrumors regular

The "Locate Me" feature doesn't work very well at all for me on my iPhone. I live just about an hour north of Los Angeles in Ventura, so it's not like I'm in the middle of nowhere. It locates me about 10 miles south of where I actually am.

22. macrumors regular

you have to keep pressing the locate me button. It is not "live gps"

23. macrumors regular

wow... and I was concerned because it placed me half a block away!

24. macrumors regular

I live in Thousand Oaks and it has hit me on the nose every single time I have tried it.

25. macrumors member

True...

You have too look at this as paying $29 dollars (or was it $19?) for the pro version of Quicktime. Also this is in line with what Apple charges for iPod games. $20/5 applications equals $4.

I don't have an iPod touch... not enough storage for me. I need at least 32GB. I actually what a iPhone but again... not enough storage and AT&T needs to have a cheaper plan for my tastes.