Today's Public Service Announcement.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Chundles, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

OK, there have been a few things bugging me recently, mostly due to television and its inability to get things right about my country. These are:

1. The Koala is not a bear. It is a marsupial and is not related to the bear in any way aside from the fact that they are both mammals. If any of you are involved in writing for television series please ensure that you never refer to a "Koala Bear." It's just plain old "Koala."

2. The Emu, a large, flightless bird native to Australia is pronounced "EEm-ewe" NOT "EEm-ooo." Get. It. Right.

That's all for the moment. I'm in a mood tonight, and I'm not going to pull any punches.

2. eji macrumors 6502

eji

Right. And if you wouldn't mind, here's something you can do for me.

1. Learn the difference between its and it's. It's = it is. Its = belonging to it.

2. Don't pluralize ordinary words with apostrophes. I think it's customary for an abbreviation or acronym like PhD to take one (as in, PhD's, though not CDs or DVDs), but there's no need to add any type of punctuation to a word like series to make it plural.

Meanwhile, I'll be repeating to myself, "The Koala is not a bear" and "Eem-ewe" to get it into my thick American skull.

[Edited twice now. Ouch.]

3. Chundles thread starter macrumors G4

Chundles

Damn, I'm normally pretty good at keeping those things right. I'll fix it. The series thing was just a proper typo though.

4. eji macrumors 6502

eji

Yeah, and I'll learn to spell abbreviation :) [1st post edited]

5. Chundles thread starter macrumors G4

Chundles

Don't forget "punctuation.";)

6. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Yeah and plus you're Australian, which is almost like being British, you're not supposed to make those mistakes. :p

Now can someone tell me if my second comma was supposed to be a semicolon or just a comma?. :confused:

7. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I'd have gone for an em dash myself.

8. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

Hmmm - two things here:
    1. Austrailia is actually Australia (don't want to be picky, but ..... :D ).
    2. It definitely should be a comma. The sub-clause about being British can be taken out of the sentence without there being any loss of sense. Look here, for instance.

Apart from those two things, looks like this will be turning into a very interesting thread. :)

9. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Yeah, I went back and fixed it. I can't stand spelling errors. :mad: One of the things I like so much about MR, is being able to edit your post anytime. :)

10. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

While the Koala is not in the bear family, it does have "bear" in its name.

The Koala's scientific name is "Phascolarctos cinereus." It is broken up as follows:
    • phaskolos = pouch
    • arktos = bear
    • cinereus = ash-colored

11. slowkiwibird macrumors newbie

because it LOOKS like a bear, more than a kanga...

12. Chundles thread starter macrumors G4

Chundles

Yeah, but the bear family start with the name "Ursus." And bears don't raise their young in a pouch.

13. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I wasn't trying to prove that it was a bear...

I just wanted to point out that calling it the "Koala Bear" is somewhat accurate to its scientific name, which translates to somethin' like the "ash-colored pouched bear."

It's also known as the "native bear" to Australia, and according to New Oxford American Dictionary, the koala is "bearlike."

What's that saying? If it looks like a duck... ;)

Sorry, I'm just giving you a hard time. :p

14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The point everybody has been avoiding is that koalas are perpetually drunk, usually asleep, and should never be touched. They're vicious, snarly, scratchy biting machines. Don't let their cute facade fool you. If ever you owe a koala money, leave the country.

As with any good island, exit Australia from any direction, but take appropriate floatation device(s). :)

15. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

One learns more here on MR than from watching five nature specials on PBS.

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Not to be too picky™, but it's "flotation"....:)

17. Chundles thread starter macrumors G4

Chundles

I know, but just to pull you up there. It's most definitely not known as the "native bear" down here. It's just called a Koala, and yes, Mad Jew is right, they sleep for 20 hours a day every day of the year and are vicious if you cross them (although that's pretty hard to do seeing as most of them are quite jolly drunks, you can normally tell the nasty drunk Koalas by the large number of tattoos).

However, compared to their bigger, meaner, cousins the Drop Bear, the Koala is a cuddly little friend.

18. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

No no no, you're thinking of flirtation, which is something one must never attempt on an island, with a koala.

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Some people like that sort of thing.

20. dcv macrumors G3

I had to read that paragraph several times as I wasn't sure if you were describing koalas, or Australians in general.

I'm still not sure of the difference... :p

21. John Jacob macrumors 6502a

John Jacob

But CD and DVD are acronyms, too.
    CD - Compact Disc
    DVD - Digital Versatile Disc

So what's the exact rule? Or do CDs and DVDs take apostrophes too?

22. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Not those people who dress in leather and whip each other, whilst hanging precariously over burning candles, perchance?

Sadly, that's all too true. :eek: