Today's Strange ipod behavior

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Invizzible, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Invizzible macrumors regular

Feb 9, 2003
    I've had my 20 Gig ipod for 1 week now, and I've found it to be a very glitchy, unpredictable device. The "Shuffle Albums" feature doesn't work, I've had to reboot twice due to the fast forward suddenly not responding, and today I discovered that only 1 of the several audio books I've put on it are actually in the "Audio Books" area. The rest appear in the "Songs" area. This is particularly inconvenient when I'm at the gym listening to all my songs play one at a time, in alphabetical order, and suddenly a book starts.

Can anyone tell me how to move my books from "Songs" into "Audio Books"? I've found that "Songs" and "Audio Books" don't show up in iTunes when I attach the ipod to my Mac, so I can't drag files directly into those areas.

Also, does anyone know how most of the books ended up in "Songs" in the first place, while one managed to end up in the right spot?

Oh, and yes, I do have 3.0.2 software (the most recent) installed.
  2. Preacher85 macrumors member

Nov 21, 2004
    Vermillion, SD
    I would return your iPod if I were you since you've only had it a week. If you bought it at a store, go exchange it for a new one. Otherwise contact the place you ordered it from and set up an exchange. If it was a gift, find out where it came from.

You know the procedure, so make it easy and trade in for a fresh one.
  3. Invizzible thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 9, 2003
    I'm considering that. But first, I'm trying to figure out if this is a normal amount of glitchyness for this product. So far, my research is suggesting that others are having the same problems I'm having. Maybe I'll stop by the genius bar and ask them about it. Right now, I just want to know if there's any way to control where audio books go. I was surprised that the audio books section on the ipod doesn't show up in iTunes, but I'm assuming that is not a defect with my unit, it's just the way the system is.
  4. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

May 20, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    just because other people have the same problem does not make it acceptable.
    if everyone's G3 ibook logic board starting crapping out (...oh wait), that doesn't mean you should put up with it.
    return it.
  5. Invizzible thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 9, 2003
    That's a good example. But at the same time just because a computer crashes a couple times or it's software doesn't organize files in the most sensible way possible, does not mean the unit is defective. Since I'm new to the ipod, I'm just trying to learn how much of this is "normal".

I will pop into an Apple store and inquire about it.
  6. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

Mar 29, 2004
    Boston, MA
    my 40g ipod is 3 or 4 month old, i think. i had never any function fail on me, never had to reboot it, the scroll wheel works fine My audiobooks appear in the audiobooks folder as they should and in an extra playlist that i created. i'm not to gentle with the ipod, have it in my sportsbag that i just drop on the floor, use it to backup my PB (that is not recommended). something is wrong with yours. return it asap.

my two cents, ANDI
  7. parrothead macrumors 6502a

Sep 24, 2003
    Edmonds, WA
    My 3G 30 GB iPod has seemed to have a mind of it's own ever since I bought it new. Last night it gave me an icon with a magnifying glass looking over a disc. I reset it and it worked fine. I just added it to a long line of weird little quirks that it has. :D Anyway, I would suggest using the iPod software utility and completely erasing the iPod and reinstalling the software.