TODO.TXT - World's best todo list!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wako, Jul 19, 2006.

1. wako macrumors 65816

Jun 6, 2005
    hey guys, I was reading tuaw the other day about some guy compiling a top 10 list and came across this. I wasnt too impressed first but after finally installing it and a few add-ons its absolutely awesome

This really isnt much of an application rather than a script and a preference plugin, however I have found this to be the coolest todo list ever.

With the companion of GeekTool Quicksilver and AIM, this little thing becomes an awesome little toy.

The website really explains why you need AIM, because you can get a bot to control it remotely, but I usually perfer it to use it rather than terminal, simply because the terminal is very intimidating to noob like me.

The website briefly mentions GeekTool, and basically what it does it displays whatever things you like for it to display. In this case you can make it display your todo list. Here is a screenshot of my desktop. The list just stays there and cannot be clicked or anything. It just sits there and updates.

Quicksilver is also nice because it ran quickly execute the scripts after a reboot. I guess Automator might be better since it can automatically turn on the script for the todo list when you reboot, however I have no clue how to use that, so Ill leave that up to someone else. Make sure you have the terminal plugin.

This stands out from the other todo list because it actually stays on your desktop the whole time. Unlike the little post it in Dashboard, it just stays on your desktop and does not block anything since it is just text on your desktop. If you are away from your computer you can even control it remotely. Furthermore you can even search through your list, and even mark the things you have done, and even move them to a seperate file called done.txt. Its awesome and the programmer who made this has made many more additions I have yet to try out.

This is just a bunch of scripts though so it may look daunting at first to people who never programmed, however, even myself having no knowledge of programming, terminal usage, and I was able to get it to work is a miracle.

Definitely something I highly recommend if you cant keep track what you need to do through your busy schedule but hate the post it thing they have going in dashboard.

Again, HERE is a screenshot of what it looks like. If anyone needs help, just post here and ill try to help out. Im sure there are more programming oriented here that wouldnt mind giving a hand out either :)
  2. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

Jun 2, 2006
    washington dc
    Wow! This looks really cool, thanks for sharing. When I get home I am going to try this out. :)
  3. inlimbo macrumors 6502

Jan 29, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Hi wako. I just came across your post and I could really do with your help in setting this thing up.

I have been having problems with the setup. This is the first time I have ever played in Terminal.

1) I followed the instructions and this is what I have done.

.todo in my home directory (My home directory is called 'mark'). is also in my home directory.
    todo.txt in my "Documents directory". i.e. /Users/mark/Documents

I changed the line in .todo so that it says
    # Your todo.txt directory
    I have been able to add tasks to the todo.txt list. But the command I have to type in the Terminal is:
    ./ add "this new task".
    Is that the type of command you enter? Its a bit of pain having to always type "./". The tutorial suggests you can just type "todo" but that doesn't work for me.

2) The website suggests the following:

I don't seem to have a .bash_profile file. Or at least I can't find it?

3) GeekTool

I tried the Shell command "./ list" but it doesn't work with GeekTool (it works in Terminal though?)

How did you get it to work with GeekTool?

4. wako thread starter macrumors 65816

Jun 6, 2005

for geektool, you just set it to display the todo.txt file on your desktop somewhere...

as for the adding todo items, I used the AIM bot, so rather than typing up a whole directory, i just launched the bot and typed "add whatevernewitem."

The only problem with this is that you have to goto terminal everytime and launch the bot. I wasnt ever able to find a way to launch it on login and have it run on the background which is why it became such a pain.

I tried what the tutorial thing said, but I was never able to figure out how to make an alias for the whole directory. Which is why I went toward the AIM bot path. If you are able to ever figure it out, post it! I would like to know :)

I cant really help too much on this now because I dont really use it anymore. Ever since I got into smartphones (blackberries and pocketpcs), my todo lists and what not has been on that.
  5. inlimbo macrumors 6502

Jan 29, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Thanks wako!

I've have a bit more of a play with it.