Toggling Bonjour (mDNSResponder) now cant connect to the internet

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by eugenekhay, May 12, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Hello

So I had a small problem and while trying to fix it I created a big problem.

A day ago every time my iMac (10.7.4) awoke from sleep it had this message:

This Computer's local hostname "NAME" is already in use on this network. The name has been changed to "NAME"

I found this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=883927
    which had some suggestions.

I took this suggestion:

Toggle Bonjour On/Off

Launch the terminal and type:

To turn Bonjour off:

sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist

To turn it back on:

sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist

And now my internet does not work.

I am able to ping my router IP address but the signal will not go any further. I do not know what I changed but now I am stuck with no internet on that computer.

Also I have parallels installed on the iMac and when I access the internet through windows it works. So when I performed that toggle I must have messed something up, but I cant figure out what.

Please help me.:confused:

2. macrumors 68030

Mattie Num Nums

What is your parallels computer name?

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

My parallels computer has a different name then my Mac. This problem only started happening a few days ago after I did a software update, I have had parallels installed for a while. But my main problem is the fact that I can get onto the internet at all right now.

4. macrumors member

Restart your router. Is it an Apple router (Airport Express, Airport Extreme, Time Capsule)?

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a verizon fios router and an airport extreme bridged through it for better in other parts of the house.

My mac has connection to both routers.

I called verizon and we went through resetting both routers and all network settings on the computer.

The problem is with some thing that happened when I toggled mDNSresponder ON/OFF as soon as I did that I was no longer able to connect to the internet. Every browser chrome/safari/firefox say they cannot get a connection.

Chrome says DNS lookup failed.

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

does anybody else have any suggestions please, I have tried resetting network, is there anything else that I can reset?

7. macrumors newbie

Have same exact problem. Somebody please come through with a solution!!! :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: