Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eugenekhay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2012
Hello

So I had a small problem and while trying to fix it I created a big problem.

A day ago every time my iMac (10.7.4) awoke from sleep it had this message:

This Computer's local hostname "NAME" is already in use on this network. The name has been changed to "NAME"

I found this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/883927/
which had some suggestions.

I took this suggestion:

Toggle Bonjour On/Off

Launch the terminal and type:

To turn Bonjour off:

sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist

To turn it back on:

sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist

And now my internet does not work.

I am able to ping my router IP address but the signal will not go any further. I do not know what I changed but now I am stuck with no internet on that computer.

Also I have parallels installed on the iMac and when I access the internet through windows it works. So when I performed that toggle I must have messed something up, but I cant figure out what.

Please help me.:confused:

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
Hello

So I had a small problem and while trying to fix it I created a big problem.

A day ago every time my iMac (10.7.4) awoke from sleep it had this message:

This Computer's local hostname "NAME" is already in use on this network. The name has been changed to "NAME"

I found this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/883927/
which had some suggestions.

I took this suggestion:

Toggle Bonjour On/Off

Launch the terminal and type:

To turn Bonjour off:

sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist

To turn it back on:

sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist

And now my internet does not work.

I am able to ping my router IP address but the signal will not go any further. I do not know what I changed but now I am stuck with no internet on that computer.

Also I have parallels installed on the iMac and when I access the internet through windows it works. So when I performed that toggle I must have messed something up, but I cant figure out what.

Please help me.:confused:

What is your parallels computer name?

eugenekhay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2012
What is your parallels computer name?

My parallels computer has a different name then my Mac. This problem only started happening a few days ago after I did a software update, I have had parallels installed for a while. But my main problem is the fact that I can get onto the internet at all right now.

eugenekhay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2012
Restart your router. Is it an Apple router (Airport Express, Airport Extreme, Time Capsule)?

I have a verizon fios router and an airport extreme bridged through it for better in other parts of the house.

My mac has connection to both routers.

I called verizon and we went through resetting both routers and all network settings on the computer.

The problem is with some thing that happened when I toggled mDNSresponder ON/OFF as soon as I did that I was no longer able to connect to the internet. Every browser chrome/safari/firefox say they cannot get a connection.

Chrome says DNS lookup failed.

eugenekhay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2012
does anybody else have any suggestions please, I have tried resetting network, is there anything else that I can reset?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.