Tokyo Trains and iPod Ads (w/Pics)

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by iAlan, Dec 9, 2003.

1. iAlan macrumors 65816

iAlan

Apple are certainly going for it here in Japan. The Yamanote Line train (one of the most crowded and frequesnt trains it Tokyo - it does a continuous loop of the city with a loop time of about 70 minutes, and frequency of 2-5 minutes per train) was adorned with iPod advertising. Not all the trains, i waited and saw 4 out of 10 trains in 30 minutes during the 9.30 - 10.00 am period (suffice to say i was late for work) with iPod posters on the carriages - all the same - with 'iPod' and the Apple logo on the front carriage!

Cool.

2. iAlan thread starter macrumors 65816

iAlan

and another picture...

while the train was waiting at the platform

3. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

that's pretty neat!

did you notice it on any other lines? chuo line? i imagine that's a lot of exposure!

i don't remember external advertising before, though. there's always ads in the inside, but don't remember the outside ones like this. of course, i only frequent tokyo every few years so i may have missed the recent trend...?

corresponds nicely with the rumor of japanese iTMS too...

4. iAlan thread starter macrumors 65816

iAlan

I don't take any other JR train, just the Yamanote Line, but i will look out....

Advertising on the outside of the train has only been a recent thing (Apple once before - with the new gen dockable iPod, mobile phones, the VW Beetle for example), it is cool when every advert inside the train is for one company. Gap does this at the beginning of each season to promote the latest clothing line. I haven't seen apple do this yet though - would be great if they did.

I guess there is so much advertising in trains now that it looses attention. Outside the train is attention grabbing.

And another picture as the train is leaving

5. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Hahahaha! That's AWESOME! I gotta go check that out... too bad I don't take the Yamanote line... or any JR line in fact.

It's great to see Apple expanding on their advertising... now let's just hope they don't stick to only iPod ads... I want to see OS X ads!

irmongoose

6. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Wow! Thats awesome. Great to see Apple is really pushing their product. The new iPod ad campaign really seems like a great step forward, as the ads are instantly recognizable to anyone who has even seen or head about the commercials. Talk about brand recognition!

By the way, Japanese people are way too fashionable :) :cool:

7. Makosuke macrumors 603

Ooh, I hope they're on the Chuo line, too, since I'll be on that one later this month.

I'm not in Japan that often, but I've never seen ads on the outside of trains, so that's particularly impressive--must cost a fortune, too.

Interior train advertising, unless you bought EVERY ad in the car and did something dramatic, seems like it'd be essentially worthless these days--those're such a gaudy mess that nobody even seems to glance up at them.

8. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I'll be visiting Taiwan (about 24 hours worth in Taipei) and I know that Apple ships a lot out of Taipei, but what kind of presence does Apple have in the consumer market there? I am very excited as I have never been further west than Nebraska :p.

9. iAlan thread starter macrumors 65816

iAlan

Don't know much about Taiwan, have never actually visited there. Would love to find out any info you might pick up while there.

10. yamadataro macrumors 6502

I think Yamanote-line is one of the few lines with "whole train ad" offering from JR.

11. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Ahh sweet. A Dell DJ ad wouldn't look "right" in my opinion.

12. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I always heard that Apple had a real strong following in Japan, so all this exposure doesn't surprise me too much. That they have the ¥¥¥ to plaster the inside of the trains with ads is surprising to me, though.

So far in my city, only the GAP, NTT (bastards) and some random juku have had the cash for whole train ads. Oh, we also have a train that's painted up as the Coke logo :)

13. iAlan thread starter macrumors 65816

iAlan

Actually, it is just the outside of the train that is being used. The inside has the usual crap.

14. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

I didn't really notice an overwhelming Apple presence when I visited japan for three weeks three summers ago...this thread is making me miss japan, but I don't think I'll be able to make it back until I graduate college

15. iAlan thread starter macrumors 65816

iAlan

tpjunkie, is the squirrel in your 'tar drinking sake?

Apple did not really advertise heavily in Japan in the past, relying on word of mouth, but the Geof Goldbloom (SP?) ads were played on TV when they were launched. The original iMac (Bondai Blue) was a huge success here, with lines at computer stores to buy (or order as stock was limited) waiting for 2-3 hours and things took of from there - but not much advertising. Good to see things have changes...

There is an area here called Shibuya, and at the main intersection there are three buildings with huge display screens on the sides of the buildings (very Blade Runner-ish at night, with the screens and neopn signes everywhere) These screens are huge, anyway I was in Shibuya and all three screen at the same time were playing an Apple ad. It was amazing to see all three screens in sync with the apple ad. Everyone was watching, most probably because the 3 screens were all the same, which I had not seen before as each screen was run by a different company (they also play movie previrews, news, etc). I don't know how Apple pulled it off, but they did, and i have seen several other companies do it since, and am sure Apple has too - but would love to see the iPod ad up there (BTW there is sound too, which is anoying when there are 3 different ads)

16. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Now if we could get some Apple Advertising on the MAX in Portland, OR, or the Monorail in Seattle, that would be awesome.

TEG

17. skymac macrumors member

On the TTC here in toronto iv noticed a few sparse iPod ads around in sub stops and bus sheletrs and on streetcars etc. I personally reall;y like the simplicity of the iPod ads, there not to in your face but they work.