Tom Clancy, author, dies at 66

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by SilentPanda, Oct 2, 2013.

1. SilentPanda, Oct 2, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2013

Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

"Never ask what sort of computer a guy drives. If he's a Mac user, he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?" - Tom Clancy, as quoted in Escape The Pace: 100 Fun And Easy Ways To Slow Down And Enjoy Your Life (2002) by Lisa Rickwood; this quote appears at least as early as 1996 online.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/02/us/tom-clancy-obit/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Clancy

2. macrumors 65816

Tom Clancy was one of those authors whose quality really tapered off towards the end.

I'll confess to being a fan of his earlier work: Hunt for Red October; Patriot Games; Cardinal of the Kremlin; etc. were all entertaining thrillers. But by the time Teeth of the Tiger and Red Rabbit came out, I found him literally unreadable. Clancy's right wing nuttery and laziness with his prose and plot points had taken its toll. (Note: Teeth of the Tiger features two spoiled young asses driving around Europe in Ferraris murdering people. And they were supposed to be the good guys.)

3. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

Very sad day. I loved his books and 66 is way too young to die.

4. macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Rainbow Six *tear*

5. macrumors regular

Quit writing several years ago all the recent books are supposedly his but are the product of others who write in collaboration with the Clancy franchise.

6. macrumors 65816

juanm

His books, from a literary point of view, were crap, but the first Rainbow Six videogame is still my all-time favorite. :)

7. macrumors 68000

I enjoyed many of his novels, up to the point that they started being "Tom Clancy with..." then I stopped reading them. It took me 2 tries to get through Sum of All Fears, the first attempt ended about 10 pages before the 10 page explanation of the bomb exploding.

My favorite movie adapted from his novels was the first one, Hunt for Red October.

8. macrumors 6502

MyMac1976

RIP

Your books are amongst the best!

9. macrumors 601

Plutonius

Tom Clancy didn't exclusively write most of his material later in his career. Instead Tom Clancy co-wrote the books but it was obvious that his co-writers did most of the writing. Many popular authors do this because people will buy a book that says Tom Clancy on the title where they wouldn't buy it if it didn't.

10. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

That's sad news. I really enjoyed his writing style and reading his books.

11. Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Fascinating; there appears to be a very strong consensus that the quality of his writing deteriorated markedly, something which is explained by the gloomy truth that he seems to have more or less stopped writing, and had others doing the job for him.

While Plutonius says 'many popular authors do this', (names, names, please, so I know whose books to avoid!), I should think it must be relatively easy to spot as it is difficult enough to successfully copy somebody else's writing in a wholly convincing manner.

Having said that, 66 is still a very young age at which to die when one is a comfortably off individual from the First World.

12. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

The later Bourne books are written by someone else.

http://www.jason-bourne-books.com/books.php

13. freeny, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2013

macrumors 68020

freeny

Interesting tidbit...
    I went to summer Camp in Huntington MD back ion the 70's and 80's. The land where the camp once stood was purchased by Clancy and is where he lived until his death. The campers who once went there (Camp Kaufman) would return to the grounds to reminisce with the old site and of course this irritated Clancy. Clancy placed an old Sherman Tank aiming directly down the road one would come down to get to the land as a deterrent. You can see the tank in the Google map screen shot :)

Attached Files:

14. macrumors 601

Plutonius

You just have to look where the authors are listed on the cover. If it list two authors with the author you like in large print and the other in small print, it's most likely that the author in small print actually wrote the novel.

Clive Cussler is one of my favorite authors. Unfortunately, he is one of those authors who stopped solo writing and his later books are not up to par. I think one exception might be his Isaac Bell series about a detective during the start of the 20th century.