Tom Cruise gets pranked

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Doctor Q, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

News story

A fake reporter at the London "War of the Worlds" premiere gave Tom Cruise a face-full of water as he stopped to answer questions. Instead of walking away, Cruise stayed and asked the prankster why he did it, repeatedly calling him a jerk.

The fake reporter and his camera crew were reportedly part of a "comedy team" but may be charged with assault.

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

3. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

It's funny because I seem to have two different opinions on this.

Part of me says that it's not really that funny just to squirt him with water while giving an interview and its also quite rude. I would have probably done the same thing as Cruise.

The other part of me says that Cruise could have been a bit friendlier and just accepted it as a joke and not really humiliated the reporter as much.

I definately don't think that he should be charged though.

4. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Considering how this jerk with the swollen ego has tried to force his scientology cult on fellow actors and studio executives, coupled with his puerile insensitive remarks berating Brooke Shields for taking medication to overcome her post partum depression, I think that he got off lightly.

At over 40 years of age, he really needs to grow up!

5. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Lukily the term 'Jerk' doesn't really have much meaning over here... very funny... who does tom cruise think he is anyway. Moron.

6. iGav macrumors G3

I saw it on SKY News this morning... personally Cruise should've turned round and lamped the chump. :p

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I don't know, personally I would have just laughed. But that's why I don't get squirted in the face with water or hit by pies (like Bill Gates) or pelted with eggs (like Arnie the Govenator). I don't take myself too seriously.

Plus, you know, nobody has any idea who I am...

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Ditto. Or at least have his minders do it for him ;) :p

9. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

I think TC was perfectly justified. It wasn't funny or imaginative at all...

10. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Hey, I like TC and all (even if he was rude to my Stepdad), but it was a little funny. It wasn't a great prank, but the fact that he got so mad at a little water in his face. I once had someone spray my crotch with water right before I had to go out on stage in front of a large audience. It looked like I pee'd my pants. Now that was a funny prank! :D

11. iGav macrumors G3

Judging by Tom's face, I reckon he was up for a bit of a rhumble. ;)

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yes, I can see even London has the same idea about crime as the US.

You charge people with assault if they toss water or beer at an actor or athlete.

But let the actors and athletes go if they walk over and punch the guy, repeatedly.

13. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

I'm the same – normally I'm all for pranks on celebs, but hearing Cruise talk on the news this morning – he actually sounded quuite upset over it.

He is unusual in that he spends hours with his fans at premieres, signing autographs and leaving personal answer messages on their phones etc. So when someone takes the p*ss on the day it must be pretty frustrating.

They picked the wrong guy to pull a prank on. Next time go for someone who isn't so accomodating.

14. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

IMO, the prank wasn't even imaginative. Come on, squirting a person in the face with water? That's the best they could come up with? Prettly lame "comedy" team.

Or maybe I'm just grumpy this morning.

15. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

No thats the heart of it,making easy cheap news.

16. MacRohde macrumors regular

MacRohde

Here's a link to the "interview":

Water prank

Personally I think he handled it very very well. Come on, water squirting?!?! It's not even funny.

17. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

This stunt isn't even funny. I think the best humor for these sort of celebrity interviews came when an asian reporter would ask them an open-ended question, and then would keep the mic "live" and wouldn't say anything. The interviewed subject would keep talking and the jokesters would time how long the celebrity would keep talking. Now that was funny.

18. devman macrumors 65816

devman

I'm no TC fan but I thought he was totally justified and remarkably restrained. IOW - he handled it pretty well I thought.

I would have chinned the prankster :)

19. efoto macrumors 68030

I think TC did pretty well considering. I probably would have lashed out too. It isn't that water in the face is such a big deal by itself, but the lack of respect and the fact that he does usually cater to his fans decently well, adds up to piss him off pretty quick when some lesser beings pull something like this.

Personally I would have gone for the headbutt to his nose and then pulled back, and Boondock Saints style would have said "Funny, FUNNY, FUNNY!!!, you muther-fu****" then smiled and continued down the line of reporters and fans. Now thats classy :D

20. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Since when is something like this a "prank"? Yeah, I know some 5 year olds that may think its funny, but really its just rude. I for one would have had some of my lackeys beat the stuffing out of the "comedy team".

Now what would have been funny is to see them try to pull this "prank" on someone like 50 Cent, or Dr. Dre or our dearly departed Tu Pac. Not quite so funny then (for the "comedy team, I mean), is it? My guess is that they wouldnt have the sack to try it on anyone but pretty boy Tom C.

21. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

I would love to watch this tv show that the guy was working for. If all they can come up with is squirting someone with water, I wonder what else these gods of comedy can come up with. I bet Ashton wished he would have thought this up for punked, but he can't copy such a amazing stunt now :rolleyes:

22. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

He should have been grateful - it's sweltering in London. 33?C ain't funny here.
    Pretty childish really though.

23. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

Yeah, he's pretty decent to his fans. I was at a Vanilla Sky premiere a few years ago and he just walked right up to the crowd and shook hands and gave us autographs. None of us had been "cleared" or anything, we were just people off the street...

24. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

I'm sooooo sick of hearing about TC all the time! Pleae make it go away!

Arrrggghhhhhh!!!!!!

25. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

i think he probably was justified...especially in the last few years, as tabloid reporters have put people in danger repeatedly (from princess di all the way through lindsey lohan's accident a few weeks ago) which is bound to put celebrities on edge.
    and yea, its a pretty dumb prank.