Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iKwick7

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2004
The Wood of Spots, NJ
Gasu E. said:
A friend of mine once got shoved by an aggressive Scientology solicitor. He fell and sustained serious knee damage, and ended up suing the Church of Scientology.

Revenge at last!!!! :D

Nice! Way to take one for the team. :)

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
Tom Cruise is totally cool to be promoting his religion like that. I wish him and kate holmes the best. it really looks like true love to me. I've been doing a lot of research into scientology and it looks very solid. I've already started giving money so i could be a part of the church.....

wait a minute... for second there i blacked out... what happened?

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
broken_keyboard said:
War of the Worlds was bad. I wanted to crap in my hand and throw it at the screen!

I thought it was really good, except for the ending. I'm watching in the middle of the movie, I reach down for some popcorn look up and its over. It just ends.

broken_keyboard

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Secret Moon base
killuminati said:
I thought it was really good, except for the ending. I'm watching in the middle of the movie, I reach down for some popcorn look up and its over. It just ends.

I can see how that could happen. I was kind of ready for the abrupt ending because a friend of mine had the original War of the Worlds on vinal he used to play a lot.

The reason I hated it was because of the universe it portrayed. It wasn't a rational, orderly universe where people can be happy and achieve things. It was a world where everyone is at the mercy of forces outside their control.

One minute boom - the world is destroyed, the next minute boom - the world is saved. And the people in the story are just helpless pawns. What a horrible idea! What a horrible movie. Let fly the turds at War...

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
broken_keyboard said:
I can see how that could happen. I was kind of ready for the abrupt ending because a friend of mine had the original War of the Worlds on vinal he used to play a lot.

The reason I hated it was because of the universe it portrayed. It wasn't a rational, orderly universe where people can be happy and achieve things. It was a world where everyone is at the mercy of forces outside their control.

One minute boom - the world is destroyed, the next minute boom - the world is saved. And the people in the story are just helpless pawns. What a horrible idea! What a horrible movie. Let fly the turds at War...

it's been a long time since i read the book and i have not yet seen the movie but that is the overall tone of the book too. Much of HG Well's stuff is rather...depressing. Read the Time Machine for example, the initial book is really sad, not at all like the simon wells version.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
broken_keyboard said:
War of the Worlds was bad. I wanted to crap in my hand and throw it at the screen!

I'll have to disagree with you there then. I'm very familliar with the book and the first movie, and the new movie was right on target. I would have been disappointed if the new WOTW was unlike the original and maybe even upset. I didnt find it abrupt at all. The action sequences were done just right, and the acting was even good. One part i thought was really interesting was when Ray's (tom cruise) family was making their way down to the ferry and a railroad crossing comes down and the burning train sails by at top speed. that was a strange and surreal moment. Also when the tripods shot their lazers the sound effects were amazing, kinda like this heavy electrical sound.
The only part that i thought was questionable was when Tim Robbins started LOADING his gun when the aliens were in the basement. Its seemed everybody in the audience was saying "Wasnt the gun loaded already?"
Another thing is that i thought Robbins was getting a little too "politcal" at certain points, like when we went on and on about "Occupations always fail!" I mean, come on Tim, just tell that to the Native Americans.

All in all the movie is a solid sci-fi goody. worth a dvd sale at least.

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
On Cnn.com today

Oh man oh man. This girl is being brainwashed. Systematically brainwashed.
During the W interview, the actress wouldn't part from Jessica Rodriguez, who is described as her "Scientologist chaperone." Rodriguez's role in Holmes' life remains vague, though Rodriguez says they're "just best friends" since meeting around the time Holmes met Cruise.

Ok....and.....

"You adore him," Rodriguez told Holmes when the actress was at a loss for words to describe her love.

Because, you know, she's too in love to form her own sentences.

wrxguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2005
Deepest Regions of Hell
come on tom

HAHAHAHHA when i heard about this and then saw it on the news i thought it was funny...come on Tom Cruise its a joke chill out you have Katie Holmes to go home to every night so a little water on the face is no big deal lol

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
wrxguy said:
HAHAHAHHA when i heard about this and then saw it on the news i thought it was funny...come on Tom Cruise its a joke chill out you have Katie Holmes to go home to every night so a little water on the face is no big deal lol
Maybe that was the final test before he could reach level OT-7...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.