Tom Cruise Goes All Xenu Upside Matt Lauer's Head

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Lyle, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

As reported on MSNBC.com:
    Katie Holmes has already been dropped from the cast for the Batman Begins sequel, allegedly because Warner Bros. feels that the poor box office numbers for the movie are due to all the controversy surrounding her romance with Cruise. It will be interesting to see how much (if any) this has on the performance of War of the Worlds (and Cruise's career, in general).

2. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Goes all Xenu upside Matt Lauer's head...
    Google-> define: xenu

Just FYI, for more unflattering information on Scientology, see Operation Clambake at http://www.xenu.net/

And yes... I have read Dianetics, Scientology and several others. :rolleyes:

Woof, Woof - Dawg

4. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

Very few people, including Tom Cruise. Glib is an adjective, not a noun. ;)

5. Lyle thread starter macrumors 68000

Lyle

There's no need for you to be a sarcastic just because some people don't know what "glib" means.

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I think the ;) was meant to mitigate the sarcasm.
    I didn't read it as sarcastic but as pointing it out good naturedly

Woof, Woof - Dawg

7. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

Actually i was being sarcastic in asking the ?
    I guess i should have used the :rolleyes: along with it.

8. Lyle thread starter macrumors 68000

Lyle

Arrgghhh. I was trying to make a joke by telling stridey not to be "a sarcastic", in reference to Ahmed to referring to the Today show hosts as "glibs", but nobody got the joke. I am a disappointed. :( ;)

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Actually the whole exchange is quite funny as I re-read it now... :p

My bad... I jumped in where I was not needed!
    Best part of this thread in fact!

Woof, Woof - Dawg

10. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

This is clearly the comment of somebody who doesn't live with depression. I agree that a lot of medication is dished out unnecessarily to all and sundry but there are cases where used under the supervision of a doctor or psychiatrist it plays an important part in either a sufferers recovery or their ability to try and live a normal life.

The media has also a lot to answer for in the way it portrays anti depressants as all so addictive they are dangerous in there own right. Some are, but many patients have so little common sense they don't get advice when wanting to quit medication or fail to even read the leaflets that are issued with the pills. People expect to be able to quit pills at will but these medications are powerful and need to be treated with respect. All tablets carry some risk of addiction but blanket statements show a complete lack of understanding.

11. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Glibly ( :) ) dismissing other peoples problems like Tom did to Brooke Shields is arrogant, childish, and shows a remarkable lack of intelligence and empathy.

So it's not surprising that Tom got all flustered and hot under the collar when Matt called him on that insensitive remark. Unfortunately he's too used to being surrounded by sycophants and *yes* people.

12. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612

Who has a Mac friendly version of the interview they want to link us?

I am curious to see what Tom Crazy says he thinks the facts really are.

13. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I'm not going to join the argument about anti-depressants -- I'd just like to state that Tom Cruise needs to just **** already. No one cares, Tom...just do your little movies and keep to yourself.

14. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

That's a shame. It would reflect better on the studio execs if they dropped her because she's a crappy actress instead.

15. Lyle thread starter macrumors 68000

Lyle

Do you have a reference for where Brooke Shields advised others to use anti-depressants? Also, since you don't approve of how she dealt with her post-partum depression, maybe you could share how you've dealt with that illness following your pregnancies.

16. Lyle thread starter macrumors 68000

Lyle

Heh. Well, they implied that as well, by saying that Batman's next romantic interest will be portrayed by a "much stronger actress".

17. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Tom Cruise is just a nut.

I think he lost his mind right about the time he had his mid-life crisis.

The man is just out of his f***ing mind.

18. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Tom Cruise has LOST IT. The only reason I'm going to see War of the Worlds is because Steven Spielberg directed it... same reason I went to see Minority Report (Spielberg) and Eyes Wide Shut (Kubrick). But I'm pretty much done with Cruise after this... no matter who directs the movie. I have ZERO respect for him.

Heck, I'd prefer to watch Hayden Christensen act... and that's saying something. :)

19. craigdawg macrumors 6502

When you spend too much time playing other people, your sense of reality becomes warped. He's becoming a bit eccentric, amost Brando-like.

I remember seeing him on a late night talk show (must have been Letterman cuz I never watch Leno) and he'd just gotten braces. He kept going on and on about how great braces were. "You gotta get 'em. They're GREAT. A couple of months and that's it." I was like WTF?

Someone needs to assemble a crack team of hostage rescue experts and save that poor girl before it's too late.

20. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Someone needs to assemble a crack team of investigators to bust the hell out of those scientology nut jobs. Tom Cruise did an amazing job in Last Samurai, but I can't believe how bad somebody needs to want to belong to join the scientology cult.

21. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Might be saying something, but then again maybe not. I've seen him in a few flicks, but can't say I've actually seen him act just yet. :p

22. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Intolerance.
    I believe, like Robert Heinlien, that "one man's religion is another man's belly-laugh" and that Christianity itself is a cult to 3/4ths of the world, but I defend his right to believe what he will. Have at it Tom.
    And as for "glib", weren't those brothers the ones that did the music from Saturday Night Fever? Oh wait... Travolta. Isn't he a Scientologist? The world weaves itself into mysterious cloth!

23. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

He's reported to be constantly surrounded by scientologists. It must be nice to have a support group like that, but eventually you can begin to rely on them to the point where they are able to completely mislead you. Especially when you are seperated from all other influences.

I think it is the beginning of the end for the guy. Hopefully it does not ruin his acting ability. Though his career on screen will be ruined if he runs around acting like a kook off screen all the time.

24. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It's the separation from reality that usually makes you look strange.

Of course he could alway move to Neverland to make himself look normal again.

25. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Even though Tom is short, he is still to tall to ride all of the rides. :(