tom delay may be in more hot water

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Apr 5, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

should be, but we'll see if anyone really cares...

story 1

story 2

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Yeah, but he was a Democrat. Only Democrats seem to get in trouble nowadays.

Still, I welcome anything that can get DeLay out of there. The man is getting more arrogant by the day.

4. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

DeLay's been in hot water so long it'll be years 'til his hands stop pruning.

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

This is what our democracy has been turned into.

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The irony is, Wright was hounded from office for very similar ethical lapses. IIRC, he stood accused of taking money for travel from people with an interest in legislation, laundering campaign funds through a book deal, and hiring a relative to do little or no real work. After the Wright affair, the House (then controlled by the Democrats) strengthened their ethics rules. With the accusations against DeLay, the House (now controlled by Republicans) has weakened their ethics rules. All of which brings to mind geese and ganders.

7. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

yet another scandal story has broken...

link

(emphasis mine)

this article also has a nice little summing up of other trips under scrutiny:

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

9. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

...and start prosecuting!

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'd actually like to see DeLay hang in there for a while longer. Up until closer to the '06 elections at least if he doesn't self destruct before then. Then he can go back to killing bugs. In jail.

Even the GOP establishment is distancing themselves from this guy. He skipped out on a religious hatefest this week after drawing all this fire because he's scared of his new high-profile image. Tom DeLay is badly out of step with America, and it's high time America saw how the GOP's muscle in the HoR behaves.

If he hangs in there though, the '06 election can become a referendum on DeLay and the GOP's ethics, fiscal, and foreign policy problems. DeLay will be the Dems whipping boy, and the only people who'll really back the guy are the American Taliban crowd.

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

More thoughts about DeLay's ethics, or lack thereof:
    http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-chait8apr08,0,2940295.column

But you know, it's the LA Times...

12. Punani macrumors regular

Punani

With all these lapses in ethics (as well as his Congressional voting history) I'm remain puzzled why they still stand by him and used him as their bullhorn in the Schiavo case.

Do the Republicans really think that they are that much like Teflon?

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Apparently they don't. :confused: :( :mad:

I'm not sure whether I should be madder at the Neocons for thinking they can get away with it, the Liberals for not actually doing anything about it, or the people who don't care enough so that they actually do get away with it.

I wonder if they know that corrupt politicians are the first to be thrown into the fire during the Apocalypse. You'd think they'd at least read those Bibles they've been a thumpin'. Ah well, maybe he'll do something really dumb and people will actually care.

14. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Tom Delay really needs to be brought to justice. Beyond that, I would really like to see the fall of the corporate media. Liberal groups have been disastrously unorganized for decades now, perhaps longer considering how long the media has supported the interests of business over those of people.

On a positive note, at least there is an effort being made now to launch an alternative media.

The media has not always been completely slanted, fair would not be the best word to use but over the past 25-30 years it has not been the most objective outlet. With the advent of Fox, there is competition to see who can be the most conservative outlet.

An objective media would never have started a feeding frenzy over the Schaivo matter when the majority leader is acting in such a detesable manner. Especially when there was nothing wrong being done (legally) in the Schaivo case and Delay is treating ethics standards with outright contempt.

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

DeLay deserves the same fate as Jim Wright (and without delay). For the time being, he's been saved by the pope -- but I think this story has legs enough to outlast the papal saturation coverage.

16. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Especially considering what a hypocrite he is.

17. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Looks like Santorum is trying to set up a mock hearing for Delay. A public Q&A display that will probably lack both questions and answers.

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Rumor is that DeLay is calling in the favors he's owed in an effort to save his skin. I'm sure Santorum is just one of the people who 'owe him one'.

Oh and there's also the implicit threat DeLay issued regarding anyone not helping him not getting any help from him or the GOP in the future.

19. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

DeLay has the Wright stuff. Whenever a politician calls in all his chips simultaneously, he's desperate, which means he's finished. I'd put money on it.

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Or, as we'd say over here: he's had his chips...

21. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

how low will he go?

link

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

What, he hasn't gone low enough already?

23. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

It's going to get worse before it gets better. Problem is (for them at least) I think that more people are finally catching on. How did Jon Stewart put it, "how dare Liberals hold them accountable for their unethical behavior". Something like that. :p

24. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It would make for great satire if it weren't true, but in essence, this is the case being made by Republicans. They watered down the house ethics rules to protect DeLay, rules by which the Democrats are now refusing to play. But that's not stopping the Republicans from claiming that it's the Democrats who are "playing politics" with this issue.