Tomato wars (count the puns!)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by pseudobrit, Apr 30, 2005.

1. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'm siding w/ the GOP on this one: it's a fruit. i don't care if it's legally a vegetable; that's silliness that should be retracted.

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It's hardly a matter of opinion, legal or otherwise.

4. pseudobrit thread starter macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Well, if the NJ legislature wanted to name the rutabaga as their state fruit to increase the stature of NJ rutabagas, far be it from this Pennsylvanian to object.

The best tomatoes I've ever had come from Washington Boro in Manor Township, which is conveniently just a few miles south from me. Nice rich river-silt soil and good summers here in southern PA. Dark red and juicy and thick with taste. They're legendary.

So good you can bite into them whole, like fruit. Which is the problem with the imported out-of-season hothouse tomatoes we must eat the rest of the year. They have no flavor whatsoever and can't be eaten like fruit. They're filler for salads.

When Washington Boro tomatoes come into season, though, tomato sandwiches are back on the menu. Mmm.

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

no kidding. blech.

best i've had was when i was in turkey. unreal. my travel mate, who'd hated tomatoes her whole life, suddenly liked them. we got very used to having a small tomato/cucumber salad w/ nearly every meal.

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Most states already have a state vegatable. New Jersey is playing ketchup.

7. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

LOL, very in line with the article.

it's amazing how our legislators manage to waste time on completely irrelevant issues, and not on what counts for something.

technically true, but that is true also for a lot of fruit that are commonly considered "vegetables" including, ironically, corn which they favored as alternative to tomatoes

quick poll: KNOW YOUR VEGGIES
    which of the following are technically fruits? (highlight for the answer)

tomatoes,
    corn,
    rice,
    eggplant,
    green peppers,
    jalapenos,
    zucchini,
    pumpkins,
    cucumber,
    olives,
    cashews,
    stringbeans,