Tomb Raider: Lara on the Mac

Discussion in 'Games' started by Blue Velvet, Dec 31, 2004.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Any fans out there of the adventures of Lara Croft?

I know it's not the hottest, latest thing out there but it's a game that gave me a great deal of pleasure through its various incarnations...

Loved 1, 2, parts of 3 & especially 4 (the egyptian one).
    Hated 5: Chronicles...

Didn't buy 6: Angel of Darkness because of poor reviews & reported bugs.
    It also costs about £40 over here (about US$80!)

Rumors are: Number 7 in production.
    Development has been handed over to new U.S.-based developers after the disaster of Angel of Darkness. Due to be released mid-2005...

p.s. Crap movies... both of them. A missed opportunity.
  2. applekid macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    I could never understand what was so fun about Tomb Raider. I found it to be really boring.

I think people only played it for the boobies. :D
  3. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Your handle is appropriate.
    Get back to us when you're old enough to order a beer...
  4. applekid macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    Hey, I was expressing my opinion, ma'am. And my name has a much better story behind it than the one you are thinking of, thank you very much. :D

The game was quite bland, when I played the first one. Not to mention, the first two had horrible controls (I haven't played the rest of the series). All you did was run, find a door, find a way to open it, with lots of traps on your way. I didn't think the levels were designed in a clever way. The puzzles were alright though. But the game as a whole was bad. I was traumatized by the first level of TR II. It.. just... can't be done, jumping to those pillars of rock. *shivers*

TR on the GBC was okay though. That was a pretty good game, especially for a GBC game.

I don't see why the series was popular at all and why it's be stringed out so much.
  5. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Dec 9, 2004
    Since you're seeing Lara from behind 99% of the time, that can't be it....

They are pretty fun (the ones I've played anyway; I got the first five cheap off ebay a while ago and have been working my way through them in between other games). They do require a certain degree of dexterity though. Play with something other than the keyboard; an X-Arcade joystick works nicely.

6. applekid macrumors 68020

Jul 3, 2003
    You'd recommend a joystick? I was having better luck with the keyboard than the PSOne controller when I was playing TR2.
  7. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Dec 9, 2004
    Yes, a real joystick, like the X-Arcade I mentioned. With lots'o'buttons. I briefly played a bit of TR1 on the PSOne some years ago so I understand about the controller.

8. neonart macrumors 65816

Sep 4, 2002
    Near a Mac since 1993.
    I absolutely loved the first game- it was incredible at the time. I remember the first time I got to St. Fraces Follies (sp?) and looked down, no game had done anything like that. Or when the wolves jump at you at the begining of the second level! I dropped my controller and screemed like a little girl. (I admit it) That was almost 10 years ago...

Some people don't appreciate these "classic" games. (*sighs, and remembers Phantasy Star[SMS]*)

In any case, I found that as the sequels progressed, things did not really improve. 2 was ok, 3 was so-so, 4 & 5 I didn't even play, even though I have them and people say they're ok. Angle of Darkness could be a better game, but it sucks. Not sure why, but it does. It sits unplayed as well in my pile.