Tomb Raider Legends: Give it a chance?

Discussion in 'Games' started by reberto, Jan 1, 2006.

1. reberto macrumors 65816

Jul 20, 2005
    Will anyone go out and buy the new Tomb Raider game when it comes out (~March 06')? I am a die hard Tomb Raider fan (I would LIKE to forget about Tomb Raider 6 but, we can't.....) and they are one of the best action/adventure games ever made. Now, with Tomb Raider now having a new devloper (Crystal Dynamics) would you give it a chance?
  2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    I love Tomb Raider and got scoffed at here once for bringing the subject up. :D :eek:

And no, I never purchased Angel of Darkness because of its terrible reviews... so I would think twice about buying Legend until reading more reviews.

At least it seems to be return to classic tomb-plundering in exotic locations rather than the gadgety spy stuff which I detested in the patchy Chronicles, but the new soundtrack sounds very nice and quite cinematic.

Doubt a new version would play very well on my G4 dual 1.42 without a new graphics card.

My favourite game of all time. Sad but true.

<downloading trailer now>
  3. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Aug 23, 2003
    Fort Myers, FL
    Not at all! I love Tomb Raider :) Played TR2 all the way through and dabbled with the others. Got pretty far with AOD until other things took me away. The new graphics look incredible from what I've seen. Guess I'll have to break down and get an Xbox 360 when this one hit's the shelves.

Crystal Dynamics exploit the power of the Xbox 360 with its newly created graphics system for Tomb Raider: Legend. With support for real-time per pixel lighting, shadows and normal-mapping among other improvements, the Tomb Raider world has never been as lifelike. Gamers will be dazzled with hardcore adventure and exploration as well as organic environment and physics-based puzzles within an incredibly detailed world. Bringing to life a new sense of awe and wonderment in stunning and immersive environments, the Xbox 360 demonstrates Lara's intricately animated expressions, fluid movement and realistic abilities, equipped, of course, with state of the art gear and weaponry.
  4. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    ooo! Crystal Dynamics! Pandemonium! If I remember correctly. if its being made by them then I'd look into getting the regular Xbox version (if there will be one). I found that the Tomb Raider games degraded after each game. but with a new developer then I hope its going to be a good one!
  5. Golden_315 macrumors member

Oct 20, 2005
    If I remember correctly they made some changes to the basic gameplay. For one example you no longer have to be exact with your jumps and grabs, if you miss the ledge, or whatever, by a little bit there is a "save" key that you can use to reach for the ledge and grab if you are close enough. Plus they have gotten rid of the grid movment. Meaning that instead of moving in the sorta clumsy movement style it's going to be much more fluid and easier to navigate, allowing for trickier, more innocative puzzles.
  6. Lincoln 6 Echo macrumors member

Nov 29, 2005
    I'm hoping to give it a chance on Xbox.

Crystal Dynamics - I didn't recognize the name at first, but I know some of their games and they seem pretty solid. Some of their better games are:
    - Legacy of Kain: Defiance
    - Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
    - Soul Reaver 2
    - Mad Dash Racing (actually kinda fun)

So they've got a decent background in the third-person action games. Hopefully, they're able to learn some of the late-generation programming techniques on the Xbox and make it look amazing (it could blow away the 360 version).
  7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    i will be getting it...maybe for the psp.

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004

Hope Aspyr or somebody else will put this out on the Mac for those of us who don't have a console... or a PC.
  9. MRU macrumors demi-god

Aug 23, 2005
    According to IGN they've finally changed the emphasis back to adventuring...
    Lara's strongest point from the outset and somthing that had been watered down as each title emerged....

Angel of Darkness wasn't all bad. There was some strong points, graphics were quite nice and it brought back alot of the 'Tombs' but......

It was the controls that killed it... They were so so bad... Difficulty never came from the situation you were in, or the puzzle to solve, but from the catastrophe of the control system that was sluggish, unresponsive and limited... Horrid....

As far as crystal dynamiks, I liked the last Legacy of Kain - Defiance game so I have my fingers crossed for it.. However now Toby Gard is back on board (one of the original creators) does not fill me with as much confidence as pre-viewers seem to be, as I remember the pisspoor GALLEON on the xbox..

Also the 360 version from pre-views seems very dissapointing. They are basically re-using all the ps2 assets, but just adding a bit of bumpmapping or new textures.. Which means it's not going to look any where as near as good as it could have if they had made that the console of choice and ported down rather than up.....

Oh well....