Tomb Raider

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Anybody seen/played the new Tomb Raider yet? My mate went into town during a power cut and came back with it. Had a little play around. Graphics look very good (especially in 1080i on his new Viera TV) but have the 360 "shine" curse. Water and rocks were nice. Mucho slow down.

Overall I like it. Much better than Tomb Raider 3+.

As always shooting feels very clunky and just all round bad, but the exploration and climbing is pulled off very well. Glad to see that the dive trick doesn't break her neck anymore!

Some bad glitches though. The 360 specific ones are the shiny people and the slow downs. She also randomly cocked her leg up as if she was standing on something, and there were times she'd end up stuck in a push-block.

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

The game doesn't officially come out until the 11th I don't think.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Only for you in the states ;) Here in UK & Ireland we get it today :p

Just bought it with TopSpin 2 :)

4. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

I love the way this game looks, although the gameplay appears too much like PoP. I may get it 2nd hand or rent it

5. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Is the posh english voiceover (can't remember the name) during the game the same guy who plays Liquid in MGS? I'm sure it's him. Also voiced Dogtanian and some others.

6. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I downloaded the 360 demo last night and tried it. I loved the original Tomb Raider on PS1, so I had a good feel as to how the game played and what to expect.

The game definitely doesn't look "next Gen" on the 360. There are parts that look nice, but Lara still looks very computer generated, say, compared to the characters in G.R.A.W., those look great. the way she moves does seem very natural (if you call being able to hang by one arm off a cliff, jump up to another ledge, or do a handstand from hanging, "natural").

The demo is really good, not too short, I think it took me less than an hour, but I am very slow at games, I like to look around, see if there are any hidden corners and such.

I might pick this up at some point, maybe I will wait until it goes down in price. I still have a bunch of 360 games to beat: Need for Speed, G.R.A.W, Kameo, FN3, PDZ.

I don't think Tomb Raider will be my next game though, my next two will be Oblivion and Top Spin 2.

7. vniow macrumors G4

The reason why.

8. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Glad to see someone else post about tomb raider...i was looking at it last night for the 360 and it looks like its back to form.

I will be getting it once i dish he cash.

Bless

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Graphically it's not great by any means, but when you compare it to all the other versions including pc, with settings on high..... It looks way better. (I know that just say's the other versions look crap - but they do :) )

10. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

I think the story line is a little cheap so far. "I don't want to close my eyes" and the Timesplitters style characters.

11. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I'm just glad it is back to the norm.....IN TOMBS and puzzles that make some sort of sense...instead of that angel of darkness crap.

Bless

12. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I liked the demo, and it did make me think of PoP... then again, I loved PoP:SoT

13. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Ooooh, shiny demo!!! :D

I *heart* Marketplace game demos. :)

14. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I know, I really like the marketplace. My roommate and I play SmashTV almost everyday, it's very addictive and just plan fun. By far, the demo section is my favorite part, it has opened me up to many games I never would have tried before. I'm glad to see most games are adding a demo version to download, I would like to Oblivion and Top Spin 2, I hope they put out a demo of those at some point.