Tomorrow, I buy a lock and install it on my door.

Discussion in 'Community' started by 18thTomorrow, Sep 10, 2004.

1. 18thTomorrow macrumors 6502

I am a college student living at home with my family because it's cheap and, to quote BNL "I could leave but I'll just stay/all my stuff's here anyway..." I have several younger siblings.

My two year old brother is a menace to society. This evening I went to my room, expecting to do some Imming, and my eyes bug out of my sockets as I approach my iBook, sitting open on my desk: the keys are ALL OVER the desk and the floor. All popped out, some of the scissor mechanisms missing, it was a *mess*.

I managed to find all the pieces except half the scissor on the return ken. :( it took me two and a half hours to reinstall them all. Now my keyboard makes all kinds of funny rattles it never did before.

This isn't the first time the kid's done bad things to my stuff. About six months ago he grabbed my brand-new violin (cost me way more than the iBook...still paying on it, actually and will be for years to come.) and started dragging it around the house. Put a couple of dings in the varnish and broke a string.

From now on I am locking my bedroom door.

2. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

3. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Sounds like a good excuse to ask your parents for a new PB :D

Seriously though, it is a bummer. Reminds me of when at about 3 years old I took apart my parents stereo system. Took all the tubes out (yes, I am that old). Took the turntable out. And according to my parents I was about to start on the speakers when they got up....

They used to remind me that I tried to take and dismantle the lawnmower one time at the age of 5. So watch out!

4. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Heh. I've dismantled a television and a lawnmower with my parents' blessing. Destroyed a computer without. I'm still probably not allowed to delete files on the family computer, even my own. I have a storied history of deleting "unnecessary" files. I remember when dad and I would work on his car when I was four years old or so. Dad taught me how to weld and everything, we used to build trailers from scratch together. We probably even have one of my old coveralls that I used when I was in middle school, with "Dave" embroidered on it. I've disassembled loads of stuff, and not always gotten it working again when I put it back together. :rolleyes: Nothing like making your own entertainment when you live in the middle of nowhere with only your baby sister to play with.

Still doesn't quite hold a candle to my friend who filled their playroom with baby powder because she wanted snow (they lived in Arizona at the time) and then pointed at her two-year-old sister when her mom walked in. This behavior (non-destructive mischief) is still typical of her fifteen years later. I hope I have a kid like her someday. :eek:

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Oh you poor, deprived people.

Its called Lego. Buy the sets. Love the sets.

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I have a combination lock on my door, and NO ONE but me knows the key :D I fitted that bad boy a long time ago...it's great! :p

7. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

I too remember destroying a computer, my Cousins Lc2, when i was installing 'At Ease' on to the computer. We hit one of those legendary system bombs, and next thing i knew, the whole system had been wiped. Not only did I have to do a complete system rebuild, but I was banned from their computers forever. What a shame, they recently converted to Panther from Xp, and are completely lost. Too bad I can't help...

Anyway, with the lock, good luck keeping your little brother out of the room, he will be a little menace otherwise, shesh, with the keyboard, well done getting it back together, i am still re-piecing my ADB keyboard from my G3, which my niece broke one day when my Wife was Baby-sitting, they are a bugger to fix, and now, whenever the relo's come over, all of the computer parts are locked away in the boot of my car.

8. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

granted, my brother is older than me but if anyone damages or breaks either of my macs or my guitar then they by me a new one. end of story. It would seriously damage the re-selling price if i had a 6" scratch down the side of my G5. So if you break it, you bought it

but with kids if different, just do everything you can to protect your stuff until you can be sure that they respect other peoples things. Remember that they're still learning as they grow up.

9. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

vouder17

Well i was also a menace to my mother when i was young, i decided that i was an artist and decided that i should paint all the jewerly my mom had to bright shades of RED, and while doing that draw very creative patterns on my moms briefcase....charming.

Well luckily i am still the favourite child in my family.....hehe. My brother has to do some work. :p

Peace
    DjVoTeZ

10. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Sure you know the combination... prove it! :D

11. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Too bad I don't have a door in my room to lock.

Then again, I am the pesky little brother (not so little anymore), so...

irmongoose

12. bubbamac macrumors 6502

As the father of a two year old, I can tell you that your little brother was only doing his job - exploring. Of course, that doesn't make it any better, he still destroyed your keyboard, and damaged your violin.

Unfortunately, you'll have to take some uncomfortable steps to make sure he doesn't do it again. Rather than lock your door (the 'rents might take issue with that depending on your age...), head down to the local grocery store/Wal-mart and get a door collar from the child care section. It's a plastic sleeve that goes around the door knob, and you've got to squeeze it with opposing fingers to open it. It'll protect your stuff from him until he's 5 or so... and by then, he'll be old enough to know better - hopefully. You won't have to jack with a key or pin to open the door, either.

I think of these type things as "birth control." Imagine if you had your own two year old, and had to put all of your stuff out of reach, or risk destruction. Careful what you do - I got a 'surprise' one day - and now I've got two kids!

Good luck fixing that keyboard...

13. nizz macrumors regular

this'll probably fuel a debate, but just hit him man. nothing hard, a little smack on his hand or something. he wont' do it again

actually, if you think violence isn't right at all - just tickle him until he starts crying :)

14. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Man, nothing gets a point across like a good beating. I would've whooped his ass.
    If I had done that when I was a kid I would've gotten thrashed.
    There's no excuse for blatant disrespect like that. Thrash him good.

15. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

I agree with that if the kid is 15, but he was only 2 so a severe beatdown would probably not only not be very effective, but scar the kid for life and get the guy kicked out.

I told my mom that if she needed to use my PB, go ahead. She responds with,"But I'm afraid that I'd break it. It's still too new."

16. medea macrumors 68030

medea

beat the living **** out of him, he won't touch your stuff again.

17. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

if he was 6+ years old, i agree that spanking or whatever might work, but hes still too young to know any better, go for the lock, preventative measures are probably the best simply because they will save your stuff and save your kid bro from ruining your stuff, hitting him doesnt mean he will stop, but putting a lock on the door that only you can open does

sorry about the keyboard, if some of the keys arent sitting right, take it into your local apple store if you have one, they are usually pretty good about helping you with the keys, and if you are missing any pieces i have heard that they have extras laying around

18. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

That's no fun! Those laptop keys can be so pesky sometimes. At least he didn't start ripping out the innards. And that's too bad about the violin too :( At least it wasn't totally ruined, a couple scratches in the varnish give it character :D ;)

19. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm very sorry to hear about your situation 18thTomorrow. I admire your ability to find all the pieces and to be able replace them.

I lived at home while going to college, money wise very smart.

If your parents OK the use of the lock then go ahead. You should discuss the situation with your parents, maybe they would pay to have your Mac repaired.

20. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Heh. Same friend of the baby powder incident was conceived when her mom was on birth control. :D I think they saw it more as a "Surprise, you won the lottery!" than "Surprise, your life is about to get ruined!" sort of thing.

21. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Electrify your doorknob :D

Oh, and I think he was telling you not to bother with the violin anymore, Play Low Brass™! :D

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Its funny how that kid can get the keys off the keyboard, no problem, and yet I've always wanted to but never could because I'm afraid I'd break them, as I don't really know how to remove a key. :eek:

23. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Same here. I brought my PB up to compusa because my F11 key, when pushed, didn't always work. Well, the Apple repair technician sent it to a repair place, where they popped the key off, then on, and sent it back to me. It was going for a week, and all they did was pop the key off and on! Sad...

24. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

After about a year of bugging my parents to get a computer, they finally broke down and bought a "top-o-the-line" 486. w00t! Of course within the first week I had the thing ripped apart and was peeping into all the nooks and crannies of the inards. When my dad caught me in the act of this...Wow. I'm pretty sure I couldn't sit for about a week. Of course a few years ago I decided to build him a computer for Christmas so I could email and chat with him and told him that had I not ripped apart our old 486 then I wouldn't have been able to build him a computer. ;) A little far-fetched, but it's always fun to get your parents back for something. :D

heh..on a different note...I've been married for about three and a half years so children are now starting to be the topic of conversation between my wife and I. I'm all for kids, just not right now, so my argument was that the kid will smash all my stuff! ;) It didn't fly very well....