Tomorrow I will propose with an iPod!

Discussion in 'Community' started by yoak, Dec 8, 2004.

1. macrumors 65816

yoak

So the day is almost here.
    I got this idea when my girlfriend fell in love with the iPod this summer after seeing my cousins´husband´s iPod in action.
    Great, I´ll get her one (which we both can use) for our anniversary I thought.
    When I got online to order one from the Apple store, (as you probably know) they were offering free inscription. I saw this as the perfect way of ask her to marry me. So I got an 20G iPod with the inscrition:
    Ana My Love
    Will you marry me?
    Due to too much work it´s been sitting in my cupboard for a week, but tomorrow she will recive the gift. Can´t wait til she turns it around and read the back of it.
    Getting nervous just writing this

2. macrumors 65816

blackfox

Oh, what a modern world we live in...

Good luck to you mate, I hope it goes well.

Be sure to let us know.

3. macrumors 68000

kgarner

4. macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Its gonna be funny if they messed up the scription, but wow, at first I was expecting you put an MP3 on it and modified the TAGS of like her favorite song or your song. Pretty good idea tho man.

5. macrumors 68000

Josh

hehe I just posted this thread in my forums :D

Good luck to ya man!

(you're going to be eFamous!)

6. thread starter macrumors 65816

yoak

7. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

Best of luck! The proposal is certainly not ordinary and therefore is memorable!

I hope she says yes. If not, that inscription might make it hard to sell on eBay.... ;)

Now, if it were an iPod Photo, you could have had a picture of the ring on the screen....

8. thread starter macrumors 65816

yoak

I thought of modifying the tags too, but then I´ll have to open the box.
    Now it´s sealed, and look completly innocent. I´m pretty sure she hasn´t been to the Apple store, so she has no idea about the fact that you can get it inscribed

9. macrumors 68030

stubeeef

10. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

Ah, I hadn't realized she'd be opening a sealed box (obvious, but I hadn't thought of it). Very, very excellent idea!

11. macrumors 6502a

That's so cute! Hope everything goes well for you tomorrow. :)

Where will you be proposing?

12. macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

Will you include a ring with that? If so what a wonderful way to propose.

13. macrumors 68020

howard

that is really cool

great thing to have around as a memory too, you can look back at the ipod years from now and remember the day you proposed.

that will make for some great conversations for her in the future too

14. macrumors 65816

haiggy

Not really being of age or anything:

Do girls prefer you ask them in person or some cute way as in a sign or something? Or will they not care and just say yes if they love you that much? :cool:

15. emw
    macrumors G4

emw

Congratulations - and quite creative. I hope all goes well. Be sure to let us know!

16. macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Very nice idea, great, I wish you all the best... and then you will ask her if you may buy the latest Mac on the market :p ;) ... Honey...?

17. emw
    macrumors G4

emw

Well, having only had one shot at it so far (she accepted), I'm no expert, but it's my opinion that it depends on the couple. No two women are alike, and so you can't really come up with a definitive answer. When the time comes, you'll know.

18. thread starter macrumors 65816

yoak

I have had problems finding a ring. This was one of the reasons the iPod seemed such a great idea. I will go out again tomorrow (first day off in ages, worked on the Norwegian version of "The Apprentice" two months straight) and hopefully find one. I have a few in mind, just got to find "the" right one.

19. thread starter macrumors 65816

yoak

Ooops, forgot the quote

20. macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

So totally cool! Best wishes for you both.

Love seeing/hearing about unique proposals. Proposed to my ex-girlfriend in the middle of the LIE during an Earth Day demonstration.

21. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

I suspect that, in all of history, maybe 5 women have decided to marry or not marry a man based only on the quality or lack thereof of his proposal. The uniqueness and/or timing and/or appropriateness of the proposal is important, but the question itself is vastly more important than the staging of the asking of it.

With luck, yoak has managed to conceal his intent. Too often, proposals are merely formalities or even consents on the part of the asker. Those rare times when a desired but unexpected question is asked in a memorable way are what women value.

So, knowing as much about women as I do (which, arguably, is almost inconceivably little given that amount that I should know by now), I'd say the best part of a proposal would be if the woman wants to get married but doesn't think the guy is ready for it. The surprise is key ingredient number one. The presentation is also key, but is best when combined with the first part. I think yoak has a great idea. There is surprise and uniqueness of presentation. 9.8 from the American judge (0.2 point reduction for not using a pink mini ;)).

22. macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

That is so cute. How creative. I hope she says yes.

23. macrumors 603

zelmo

Hey jsw, I'm not sure it's worth a 0.2 deduction. In fact, I think it shows he is romantic and practical at the same time. While a pink mini is awesome, if they are planning to share the iPod as well as the rest of their lives, a 20G'er is almost mandatory. I give you a solid 10.0, yoak!

Congrats and Good Luck!

24. macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Very well said JSW.

Being a romantic, I have had a hand in a few proposals for friends that were clueless:

- a proposal in hot air balloon ride at sunset

- a proposal at the beach - the "will you marry me" was written in the sand

- a proposal at a mountain hideaway - the "will you.." were on signs, like the Burma Shave signs, on the drive way up to the cabin

Fortunately all three women said yes, which we all sort of knew would. :)

25. macrumors 68020

flyfish29

yeah, very nice way! I asked my wife to marry me using a Winnie the Pooh doll (she loves Pooh) and attached a ring box to his hand...when she unwrapped it and saw the pooh she looked up immediately and smiled...didn't see the ring box for a few seconds after I just sat there and waited. She said yes obviously...well sort of...she just nodder her head...to this day we don't think she ever said yes, but we got married anyway. :)