Tomorrow's T-Mobile 'Uncarrier' Event to Include iPhone Announcement

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 25, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

CNET reports that T-Mobile will finally announce plans to sell the iPhone at tomorrow's "Uncarrier" event in New York City.

T-Mobile, which is the only one of the four major U.S. carriers that does not currently offer the iPhone, originally confirmed that it would begin selling Apple products at some point in 2013.

Image via @evleaks
    In addition to an iPhone announcement, the event is expected to feature an announcement about T-Mobile's plan to end device subsidies and introduce contract free phones as part of an overall rebranding of the company.
    The carrier, which currently supports more than two million iPhones, is also said to be preparing to officially unveil its LTE network at tomorrow's event. iPhone pricing and availability has yet to be announced, though CNET's source notes that the phone will not be immediately available for purchase.

Article Link: Tomorrow's T-Mobile 'Uncarrier' Event to Include iPhone Announcement
  2. macrumors 6502a

Nov 20, 2012
    I wish we had a carrier like T-Mobile in Canada. The closest we have is Wind, but iPhones can't operate on their network :(
  3. macrumors 6502

May 11, 2012
    "From now on, many of the things are competitors do, we don´t."

Do these guys even proofread their advertisements?
  4. macrumors 68020

Sep 24, 2008
    Blazer town!
    Americans would not like paying $649 (Full price) for the iPhone :cool:

Let us see how t-mobile plans succeeds!! :)
  5. macrumors 68020

Sep 24, 2002
  6. oneMadRssn, Mar 25, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2013

macrumors 68000

Sep 8, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I would be all over this if either their coverage was any good, or they had a roaming agreement with another carrier to make up for the spotty coverage.
  7. macrumors 68040

Feb 5, 2009
    Good god. Good catch. Lmao.
  8. macrumors 6502

Dec 29, 2011
    Irvine, CA, USA
    Looking forward to switching from AT&T. Only thing is that I believe their network is not so good (call drops).
  9. macrumors 68020

Oct 14, 2011
    The plan is either full price up front or a down payment with monthly installments tacked onto your cell bill.
  10. macrumors member

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Yea.. I don't understand how that was even green lit. It was the first thing I noticed. lol.
  11. macrumors 65816

May 25, 2012
    With the release of the 5s I will be switching over to tm as long as they have lte in phx =)
  12. macrumors 68040

Nov 2, 2007
    Los Angeles
    To be fair the ad is posted by evleaks which means Tmobile hasn't posted it and has time to proofread and release this ad...
  13. macrumors 68020

Jul 8, 2006
    I wonder if AT&T will show up minutes before the announcement and say something crazy like an ex showing up at the wedding. Actually, I hope AT&T shows up and does something stupid! :D
  14. macrumors 6502

Jul 29, 2010
    Can you get Virgin Mobile? I got my sister on it, started off with prepaid but then went in to ask a question and they were running a promotion and got her on a really wicked plan. She's only 17 so she doesn't use the data/calling enough to justify getting a $60+ plan. She gets a bit of data, unlimited texting(including picture messages), umlimited evenings and weekends from 7pm for $30! Perfect plan for a student.

Just checked website, they still have the plan.
  15. macrumors 601

Dec 18, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    They don't have to. At least not upfront. The Galaxy S3 for instance is only $69 upfront to get out the door and then $20 for 20 months. Even when combined with the $20 for the phone your rate plan on Tmobile still comes out cheaper than the other 3 carriers and once the device is paid off your bill drops. Whereas people on the other carriers continue paying the same high rate plans even if they do not upgrade to a new device after two years.

Tmobile could potentially change the game and have success with this method if they can probably educate and market it to consumers.
  16. macrumors 65816

Feb 19, 2006
    Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
    Maybe it'll start helping people realize the actual cost of their unsubsidized phone really is...

17. macrumors 68020

Sep 24, 2008
    Blazer town!
    when I said Plans -> I meant company plan aka direction (this uncarrier) not really the Individual Plan, Family Plan :p

I have done both (bought iPhones at retail as well as on contract); I think t-mobiles plans may be $10 to $20 more otherwise it is very good deal. Not sure if they have FAN accounts and discounts. For the base plan t-mobile should have allowed at least a 2GB ( unlimited text, talk and 2Gb for $50).

Will the iPhones be locked to t-mobile? can you repay the iPhone installment early? there are more questions. we will know more tomorrow.
  18. macrumors 6502a

Oct 7, 2012
    Phila, Pa
    I see youre from BOS, their service is the same down here in PHI. Terrible service
  19. macrumors member

Apr 4, 2010
    So t-mobile plans to end subsidies on phones or just offer a better non-contract price?

This could be very bad news if other carriers follow suit. iPhone would lose significant market share to cheap Android phones.
  20. macrumors 65816

Aug 6, 2008
    St. Louis
    AT&T shared data plan for me: $195
    T-Mobile shared data plan for me: $115

The difference? AT&T actually gives me the "3G" and "4G" indicator, since it doesn't use the 1700 MHz moon-frequency everywhere like T-Mobile does.

Unless they have a 1700 MHz iPhone, or have re-farmed 100% of the areas I'm in, I'm going to stick with AT&T a big longer.
  21. macrumors 604

Nov 26, 2007
    I'm fine with that if the monthly fee is low enough. I always factor in ~30 months worth of plan to the cost when I'm deciding which phone to get. If TMobile wants to sell me an iPhone for $650 and let me pay $20/month, that's a lot better than I get with AT&T right now.

Edit: of course, their coverage has to be at least as good as AT&T's in my area.
  22. macrumors 68000

Aug 11, 2009
    Considering it was likely a test ad and never used, I would say they probably do. Clearly, it was a leaked slide someone posted online.
  23. macrumors 68020

Sep 24, 2008
    Blazer town!
    not really, there are already prepaid services which has cheaper options. I still think t-mobile will subsidize the iPhone by at least $50 to $150 (from the original retail price of $649).

The other prepaid carriers are doing this: cricket, straight talk and others.
  24. macrumors 6502

Nov 25, 2012
    Even Microsoft Word is complaining about this! Good catch by you!
  25. macrumors regular

Nov 21, 2008
    i did it. paid 849 for mine, and i am sans at&t headache because I can take my phone and leave whenever i want. I'll never pay a subsidized price again.

*i do understand there are people who can't afford to pay $900 for a phone upfront, so I agree not everyone will be happy with this arrangement.